Tank Consolidation OR something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm actually leaning back towards getting the controller lol. I can have that before christmas if I play my cards right. ;-)

If I go with the tank I won't be able to get the lighting or sand or sump up and running for a few months and at about 4 times what the controller costs I won't have any instant gratification.

carey said:
I've been toying with the idea of consolidating my 29g biocube and my 20g rimless into a 60g rimless cube tank. :) I have 6 tanks now and the more I think about it the more I want to streamline the operation lol. Most people want to ADD more tanks but I think I can be happy with 5 tanks.

Some issues though with the proposed plan. One is I wouldnt be able to buy the new tank until I sell my biocube which means I would have to house 6 extra fish in my 20g. This would severely overstock the tank. :-( I was thinking I could keep the fish in the cube til the last possible moment adn when the tank setup sells then move them over. So maybe 2 weeks in the overcrowded 20g until I could get the 60g up and ready.

I would like to make the 60g a major coral tank with mostly micro fish. The 60g would allow me to really go to town with corals due to the huge footprint it has. :) I also could add a bunch more of tiny fish to it which is also appealing. The biggest fish in the tank would be my 2 b&w perculas and a citron goby. My mandarin and scooter stay relatively small as does my yellow watchman and firefish. The 20g has all tiny fish already in it.

I would add a homemade sump out of a 20g tank which will "just" fit underneath the stand. I've been eying this 60g cube for a few weeks now. lol It's $449 for drilled tank and stand. The only other thing is the lighting. I would like to go with a single LED fixture if I move ahead with this but with the 24" depth not sure which one would work. Or if I could find one a 6 bulb t5.

What do you guys think? Throw some opinions at me to help me decide. :-D

The other option is to NOT save up for an APEX controller for my 125g reef and use that $300-$350 to buy the new tank instead. I planned on putting the controller on layaway after I get my 55g setup sold which would pay for more than half of the controller or the 60g cube setup. ;-)

Thanks for reading this all, I appreciate it!

Haha ok this is a stretch...get rid of every tank...and buy like a 350 gallon!!! Hahah buy it, and slowly transfer all the fish from your smaller tanks untill everything else is empty. Then, sell every other tank and buy some nice gadgets for the huge tank! ;)

I think that would be so cool! Plus, less maintaining...right?

Back
Top Bottom