Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Tank cooling

I have a 42 hex tank, and the air conditioner in our apartment SUCKS. It stays about 76-78 most of the time, but I can't really keep it any cooler. My tank stays at 78, and when the lights are on on a hot, day it can get up to 80 degrees! 8O

There's no WAY I'm paying an insane amount of money for a tank cooler, but I've heard that fans blowing across the top of the water work pretty well due to evaporation. How big of a difference does that make?

Also, do you have any recommendations as to how I could mount a fan to blow across the top? If you've seen a glass top for a hex tank before, you might've noticed there hardly ANY open space at the top to put a fan. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do about it.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

firstly, those temperatures are nothing to be concerned about. I have my heater set to 80F.

fans blowing across the top do indeed help and do indeed increase evaporation (you'll just need to make more top-off water with your RO unit is all)

as far as mounting a fan... at this point i don't think you need to but for the future, if you thought it were necessary, you buy an inexpensive "clip on" desk style fan.

Old 07-15-2003, 03:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

These temperatures aren't anything to be concerned about? I've been told by people in the local aquarium stores that 72-78 degrees was what you wanted, and 80 was really pushing it.

What point do you think I should purchase said fan? (And by the way, I don't know why I didn't think of buying that kind of fan. That seems rather obvious now that you mention it.)

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-15-2003, 04:10 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Natural reef average temperature is approx 82-84F. Keeping our tanks below this can acutally be stressful on our inhabatants. It does slow down their metabliusm so they process food slower.

I run mine between 80-82F. ANything above 84F for an extended period or swings from say 80-86F consistanly are not things you want asit can be rather stressful.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are these temperatures good for corals, fish, or both?

Old 07-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
These temperatures aren't anything to be concerned about? I've been told by people in the local aquarium stores that 72-78 degrees was what you wanted, and 80 was really pushing it.
Do you think that, just maybe, the people at the LFS wanted to sell you a chiller?

My tank has been as high as 87-88 without any problems.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:56 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The last incident of ICH in my tanks was back about two years ago when I was living in a house with no AC and in the summer time during the day the temp would get up in the upper 80's and quite possibly even lower 90's. At night this temp would drop down to the lower 80's usually.

I lost many a fish that summer. Now that I am in a house with AC and I can keep a somewhat consistant temp in the lower 80's the fish are very healthy.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Probably, Bob. Hehe. Even though I'd only need a 1/10 HP chiller, I'd bet the commission on one of those would treat them to a nice dinner at the very least. You get a goo deal on the smallest one ever made, it'd still cost ya $500.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Mine consistantly run 86 in the summer, if it hits 87 the ?I breake out the 5" fan which can cool it as much as 3 deg overnight. I have a 75G.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:00 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I run mine between 80-82F. ANything above 84F for an extended period or swings from say 80-86F consistanly are not things you want asit can be rather stressful.
Ditto. Our tank is a full blown sps reef (180g) with several fish. Our Yellow & Purple Tangs, 2 Ocellaris clowns, and a bi-color Blenny have all been with us well over 4 years.

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com