Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

tank cover question

I just read that you should not have a tight-fitting lid that completely covers your tank because you won't get enough oxygen/gas exchange to the tank. Is this true? I thought I should cover it completely so fish can't jump out. I have a glass cover and then I cut the plastic strips to fit around the equipment. I don't have a sump and I don't have room for one. I have a strong powerhead and good skimmer. I've had the tank set up for a few months and the fish and inverts seem healthy so far. I don't have any jumpers yet but I might want to get a sixline wrasse in the future.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

An open top promotes better gas exchange for your tank. If you don't have a sump (where a lot of gas exchange occurs) you might want to think about running an open top. If you're worried about jumpers, you can create a DIY cover with window screen. This is really the best of both worlds since it still allows for good gas exchange and it keeps the fish in.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

BRS has a good video on how to create this DIY screen cover:
BulkReefSupplyCom's Channel - YouTube

You don't have to buy the stuff from them. Hardware stores will have all the material you need.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #4

Do you think it will be enough air if I just put a screen in the back area so I can keep the glass cover? There's about 3" x 48" space back there.

Someone else from Northern CA Are you in the bay area?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa888
Do you think it will be enough air if I just put a screen in the back area so I can keep the glass cover? There's about 3" x 48" space back there.

Someone else from Northern CA Are you in the bay area?
Having some portion as an open top/ screen covered top will help a lot. It's all up to you really; I just like the most gas exchange I can get for my tanks.

I'm in the placerville/Sacramento area. My family and i make it to SF at least once a month. We love it there. Bet you guys have some nice LFS there!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice and link. Yes, we have a few good LFS here, and a few not so good ones like everywhere. lol
Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did an eggcrate screen in my tank
I have one wrasse in so far, and he is doing great. Im planning on more jumpy fish and feel comfortable that this will keep em in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1052560524.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	55116  

Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com