tank cover question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisa888

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just read that you should not have a tight-fitting lid that completely covers your tank because you won't get enough oxygen/gas exchange to the tank. Is this true? I thought I should cover it completely so fish can't jump out. I have a glass cover and then I cut the plastic strips to fit around the equipment. I don't have a sump and I don't have room for one. I have a strong powerhead and good skimmer. I've had the tank set up for a few months and the fish and inverts seem healthy so far. I don't have any jumpers yet but I might want to get a sixline wrasse in the future.

An open top promotes better gas exchange for your tank. If you don't have a sump (where a lot of gas exchange occurs) you might want to think about running an open top. If you're worried about jumpers, you can create a DIY cover with window screen. This is really the best of both worlds since it still allows for good gas exchange and it keeps the fish in.

Do you think it will be enough air if I just put a screen in the back area so I can keep the glass cover? There's about 3" x 48" space back there.

Someone else from Northern CA :) Are you in the bay area?

lisa888 said:
Do you think it will be enough air if I just put a screen in the back area so I can keep the glass cover? There's about 3" x 48" space back there.

Someone else from Northern CA :) Are you in the bay area?

Having some portion as an open top/ screen covered top will help a lot. It's all up to you really; I just like the most gas exchange I can get for my tanks.

I'm in the placerville/Sacramento area. My family and i make it to SF at least once a month. We love it there. Bet you guys have some nice LFS there!

Thanks for the advice and link. Yes, we have a few good LFS here, and a few not so good ones like everywhere. lol

I did an eggcrate screen in my tank
I have one wrasse in so far, and he is doing great. Im planning on more jumpy fish and feel comfortable that this will keep em in

Attachments

• image-1052560524.jpg
    image-1052560524.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom