Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

what do you mean by regimen. I followed the instructions. and the kit is brand new unless it sat on the shelf for to long. but it does not look old.
thanks for trying to help. I dont know what to do if i should just start over or just wait or throw another shrimp in or what. The shrimp i put in last week is not completely gone yet but almost. and it was an XL jumbo shrimp. I sent my wife to the seafood place to get a 1 large shrimp and they kinda laughed at her. then gave her the biggest one they had and didnt charge her for it lol.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You are probably not off, maybe the lighting is a little different where you last tested the nitrAtes. You can always add a pinch of food and check for ammonia, or, you can have you LFS test your water sample just for a double check. I know I sometimes get a little clumsy when I test my water and maybe one or two drops are larger/smaller than the the last test.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #23

I am going to take water to LFS tomorrow. as for ammonia there is still the shrimp in the water so it should still be creating ammonia. but i have none so i assume those bacteria are working.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #24
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojmenard View Post
what do you mean by regimen. I followed the instructions. and the kit is brand new unless it sat on the shelf for to long. but it does not look old.
thanks for trying to help. I dont know what to do if i should just start over or just wait or throw another shrimp in or what. The shrimp i put in last week is not completely gone yet but almost. and it was an XL jumbo shrimp. I sent my wife to the seafood place to get a 1 large shrimp and they kinda laughed at her. then gave her the biggest one they had and didnt charge her for it lol.
LOL. I can relate, I got the weirdest look ever when I asked for just one shrimp!

I agree with Roka. Possibly lighting and a second opinion is always good. My wife and I definitely see colors differently.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

And forget reading the pH test kit on the APIs! LOL!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #26

why do u say forget the ph on API test kit?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #27

well just retested the nitrite and had my wife and my 9 yr old son who helps me with all of this stuff look at it also. they both see the same color so I guess im gonna see what the LFS says. but still the question is if it is staying at 1 and my nitrates are coming down what do i do ro what does that mean?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

For what it's worth - as I've been testing my water with API test kits I have been taking water samples to my local LFS regularly as well. One thing I have noticed is that the kits we use at home only have a half dozen or so color references whereas the LFS has an API wall chart with dozens of color references for each test.

So when my test was showing 0ppm on Ammonia their chart actually showed .25ppm. I guess the LFS probably get those charts sent to them for selling the API kits.

I mention this as I think your idea of having your LFS double check your readings is wise.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

I was saying the pH test is hard for me to read, I can't tell the differences between the purples....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #30

lol i am that way with the nitrites but 3 of us are sure its 1.

Tags
cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com