Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are coming along fine. the Nitrites will drop to 0. What are you using for a nitrogen source? When your readings go to O except for Nitrates, do a large water change ~30-40%. Do this before you add livestock. Once you add livestock a water change that large would only shock your stock. After the water change add your CUC, let that go for about a week then add one or two small fish. wait another week and repeat. Even if you have a large tank your bacteria is only built up to reduce the amount of ammonia that was added to the tank so you have to build up on them slowly as you add more stock.
I hope that helped.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

helped very much. as for a nitrogen source. i am not sure what you are asking about. If the shrimp in the tank is what you are talking about then that is it. If I am suppose to be doing something else I am not aware of it. I thought the shrimp turned to ammonia then that to nitrites then to nitrates all from bacteria.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

OOPS, I meant "AMMONIA SOURCE"...Your shrimp is your source. It gives you more leeway then if you added straight ammonia. For a 55 two would have been a better option, but one will do if you take it slow. It should drop down in a day or so, so just keepa an eye on it and you should be fine.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ok thank for the info.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
LOL. I can relate, I got the weirdest look ever when I asked for just one shrimp!

I agree with Roka. Possibly lighting and a second opinion is always good. My wife and I definitely see colors differently.
I had my wife get me 3 shrimp from the market and they gave them to her free of charge along with a smile and confused look.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

The shrimp is your ammonia source. I guess if you want to plow it all the way through to the 'possible' anaerobic conversion of nitrate then you could, though that's a stretch since if you wanted a nitrogen source you could just dose nitrate.

Tags
cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com