Tank cycle done but Phosphate high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebobby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been cycling for 6 weeks and i believe it is done,everything is at 0.0. The only thing is i can't get the coralline to grow do to the fact that my PO4 is high. What is the best method to reduce high phosphate's. I use ro/di for top-off and 5 gallon water changes everyweek with sw from LFS. I have tested both for PO4 and they are 0.0. I have alot of organic dead stuff on top off the LS.Fell off the LR when curing in my tank. I have lots of flow so i don't have a real bad algea problem,little detritus on the glass and LS is all.

Any suggestions how to beat this?????

My recommendation:

-- more RO/DI water (50% change minimum)
-- much more circulation
-- i buried my die off in the sand (a little) and my clean up critters munch on it regularly

Do you have any clean up crew yet? If not then it could be time to add them if the cycle is done. They will start to eat all the crap that is left over causing the PO4 or nitrates.
Coralline algae takes time to get established in a new tank. You will need to test your calcium and alkalinity and use additives to the water to keep them both at the proper levels to grow coralline and corals.
Things can not be rushed in a reef tank...... Take things slow and you will get there.
Good luck...
The brown stuff on the LS and glass is most likely diatom algae and it will go away in time natural part of a new tank. Detritus is fish/crab waste

Currently i have 1465 gph turnover/flow so i am turning my tank over roughly 26 times an hour. Is that enough? How often should i do 50% water changes??

I run a po4 pad in my canister filter but apparently it's not working(another wasted $$$$). Is there any additives that can be used to lower the po4 (phosban...etc..).

??????????Which ones work and which ones don't?????

I have used both phosguard and kent Marine Phosphate sponge. They both show effects of working, but the effects are evident in the first 24 hours, then they just work so so.

If you really want to get rid of it you will need to do the 50% water change probably weekly until it is lower.

I usually do 10 to 15 gallon water change weekly to bi weekly. Try to stick to the ten percent weekly rule.

I also used Sea chem Reef calcium, reef complete, and trace elements?(red label, the name escapes me?) At 2x the manufactures recommendation(per instructions of my LFS) It really gave my coralline a boost. I am not sure if 2x is necessary though, it clouded the water and it seemed that my skimmer almost immediately was removing it. I have cut down to regular dose and am using Kent Coral vide instead of the red label now that coralline seems more established.

all in all, seaham is absolutely right, take your time, I have been working on my tank for a year and it is far from complete.

there is very little enjoyment in stressing over and worrying about your tank. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom