Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry - still learning names! I believe what I have seen at my LFS is called a 'Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp'. Very interesting colors.

I did put in four Turbo snails and they are doing well however they are huge (walnut size) so hopefully I didn't overdo it with these big guys.

Do you suggest more snails because they are better cleaners or because the crabs can be detrimental to the aquarium?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I like the nassis because they burrow under the sand...when you feed the tank...well you will see.
Crabs....I am still trying to figure out what kind you are talking about...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Nassis sound cool!

Trying to visually match up on 'Live Aquaria' with what my LFS sells I would say that I'm talking about Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs and Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Hermits are decent, I just don't use them much. I think I have about 3 or 4 in my 55 and that's because they have been in there since I started....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

[quote=Boulder;1003076]Sorry - still learning names! I believe what I have seen at my LFS is called a 'Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp'. Very interesting colors.

I did put in four Turbo snails and they are doing well however they are huge (walnut size) so hopefully I didn't overdo it with these big guys.

Quote:
Do you suggest more snails because they are better cleaners or because the crabs can be detrimental to the aquarium?
Yes, and the fact that they(snails) will keep your glass free of algae, those would be nerites and ceriff snails. Nassarius snails are neat because they hang out in the sand and come out when you feed the fish or there is excess food on the sand...very cool!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Aww, TC, you spoiled the surprise about the nassis! LO, just kidding. There is nothing like seeing them "pop" into action!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
I have 4 peperment shrimp in my 55 and they took care of the aptasia quickly. If you are going to have corals be careful with the turbos cause they have been described as "bulldozers". Anything not firmly attached to the LR will be knocked over. The other two snails are much better (and entertaining) choices.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:01 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Aww, TC, you spoiled the surprise about the nassis! LO, just kidding. There is nothing like seeing them "pop" into action!
Yea, I was at a LFS a while back and asked about them and the Guy said that he had a bunch and threw some food in the tank and the sand started to boil...really cool

Tags
cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com