Tank Cycle - Everyone Has An Opinion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm quickly learning everyone is very opinionated in this hobby!

Over the period of the last few weeks my tank has been cycling and I have been testing water parameters most every day. As I tested the water I saw the ammonia and nitrite increase (however minimal) and now nitrate has risen from 5ppm to 10ppm over the last 3 days - - and I also have had my local LFS testing my water regularly as well. They confirmed what I thought and that with the volume of cured live rock I started with that the cycle was minimal and fast.

However, today I stopped at another local LFS and there they tell me "no way, no how" the tank cycled that fast and that I can expect a huge algae bloom and a period of 60-90 days before the cycle is complete.

Anyone have an opinion :D?

60-90 days is off. Mine actually cycled in a few weeks, but I waited to add for another week and then did so slowly. It all depends on how cured the rock that you get already is.

So I'm quickly learning everyone is very opinionated in this hobby!

I learned a long tome ago that opinions are like armpits. We have two of them and they both stink. LOL. If you used cured LR then you might not see much of a cycle. It`s not that much that your tank has cycled but that your load of nitrifying bacteria on the LR can handle your ammonia and nitrites. One piece of advice is watch what your LFS tell you. There are some good ones out there but you have to realize they are out to make a sale. Some not all will tell you half the truth just to make a sale. As I said not all will but some will. HTH

Thanks guys - appreciate the opinions.

My plan is to take another water sample to my LFS tomorrow (the one I visit regularly) and have them confirm my nitrates are rising as I am seeing when I test the water. Then do a partial water change tomorrow, let things settle through Sunday and start the search for some inhabitants early next week.

Thanks guys - appreciate the opinions.

My plan is to take another water sample to my LFS tomorrow (the one I visit regularly) and have them confirm my nitrates are rising as I am seeing when I test the water. Then do a partial water change tomorrow, let things settle through Sunday and start the search for some inhabitants early next week.
How did you start your cycle? I used raw shrimp with live rock and it took my tank (120 gal) 3 weeks today to complete its cycle. Why don't you try putting 1 uncooked shrimp with shell in the tank and see what your water test tell you in a couple of days instead of using inhabitants just in case your tank isn't cycled. BTW is the value of your nitrate test from the tank the same as tap water you're using?

Both LFS's may have been correct. I got lucky and got all my LR VERY cured. All very purple and from a tank that was set up for years so I saw basicly no nitrogen cycle at all. But the algae cycle was massive. from diatom to green to cyano. It is safe to start adding fish after the nitrogen but expect to see a algae cycle as well.

How did you start your cycle? I used raw shrimp with live rock and it took my tank (120 gal) 3 weeks today to complete its cycle

At the recommendation of my LFS (the one I really trust) I used fish food to feed the tank instead of a raw shrimp.

BTW is the value of your nitrate test from the tank the same as tap water you're using?

I am using pre-mixed reef crystals made with RODI water as my water source.

For what its worth; I was in no hurry, so I just used uncured rock and added a small amount. I was also luck that I have a smaller tank that I took some substrate and seeded my new tank. It only took 6-8 weeks.

Both LFS's may have been correct. I got lucky and got all my LR VERY cured. All very purple and from a tank that was set up for years so I saw basicly no nitrogen cycle at all. But the algae cycle was massive. from diatom to green to cyano. It is safe to start adding fish after the nitrogen but expect to see a algae cycle as well.
I beleive that 2882 hit the nail on the head. It all depends on where you say a cycle ends. The nitrogen cycle may be over and it may be safe to add a fish, but the tank matures or cycles on through diatom blooms, algae blooms, cyano etc for a very long time if not always in some sort of change.

I beleive that 2882 hit the nail on the head. It all depends on where you say a cycle ends. The nitrogen cycle may be over and it may be safe to add a fish, but the tank matures or cycles on through diatom blooms, algae blooms, cyano etc for a very long time if not always in some sort of change.

I would be concerned with using the word 'cycles' to represent the maturation of a tank through the various stages of algae in a tank. It can do nothing but confuse those that refer to these threads for information on starting a tank and the nitrogen cycle (commonly referred to as 'cycling or 'the cycle'). The fact that my 3 year old tank gets a hair algae spike should not be referred to as a 'cycle' as some may infer incorrectly .. IMO

I would be concerned with using the word 'cycles' to represent the maturation of a tank through the various stages of algae in a tank. It can do nothing but confuse those that refer to these threads for information on starting a tank and the nitrogen cycle (commonly referred to as 'cycling or 'the cycle'). The fact that my 3 year old tank gets a hair algae spike should not be referred to as a 'cycle' as some may infer incorrectly ..

I agree competely. I am pretty new to the hobby and did not add anything else to my tank until the (first and hopefully the last) diatom bloom was over. the NOx cycle is still the cycle.

Appreciate the opinions everyone.

Sounds like there are certainly two phases ... the initial 'nitrogen cycle' and then the ongoing 'aging stages' of the aquarium.

The cycle is a period of no life in the tank (except what is on the live rock), but during the aging process fish and invertebrates can be introduced over time. One of the books I am reading references certain fish types and even calls out 'will not do well in un-established aquariums'.

but during the aging process fish and invertebrates can be introduced over time. One of the books I am reading references certain fish types and even calls out 'will not do well in un-established aquariums'.

"aging process" I like that term. Very accruate. The reason Most of the fish that "do not do well in un-established aquariums" fail is because there food source is not yet present or well established (i.e. a mandrin goby will be difficult to feed without a large number of copepods in the tank.)

Mdaniel, excellent posts! I agree, "grazers" are a perfect example of fish that should not be put in newer tanks, since their natural food source is generally not in abundance, much like starting with a huge clean up crew....

much like starting with a huge clean up crew....

Speaking of a clean up crew ... if I start with 4 small crabs, 4 turbo snails and 4 shrimp does that sound good for a newly cycled 37-gallon FOWLER? First fish are a pair of clowns.

I think I saw a post that you put in the turbos already right?
Personally, I have never used turbos (they just weren't avail where I am). I like nassarius, cerith and margaritas.
What types of crabs and shrimp?

I think I saw a post that you put in the turbos already right?
Personally, I have never used turbos (they just weren't avail where I am). I like nassarius, cerith and margaritas.
What types of crabs and shrimp?

Yea - I put four turbo snails in a few days ago at the recommendation of my LFS ... for the crabs, I'm not sure - I don't know much about them just yet but my LFS has a bunch of small (nickel size) to choose from. For shrimp I want a few Peppermint to try and control the Aptasia and a few of the cleaner shrimp that are red and white stripped.

IME, the pepps are hit or miss with aiptasia, some will eat it and others won't.
Crabs can get a little nasty depending on what they are. I tend to stay away from hermits (only my personal preference), the cleaners are pretty cool too. A fire shrimp and a cleaner would be a good addition...both are considered cleaner shrimp but the fires are much more brilliant in coloration.

I've heard that about the Peppermint Shrimp - but I'll try them first before using other measures to control the Aptasia.

So you think I would be safe going 4-4-4 on the quantity of snails, crabs, and shrimp to start off with as my clean up crew?

Don't wanna starve the little fellas in my new aquarium ...

By red and white stripes do you mean "Coral Banded Shrimp"? They are know to eat small fish so if you plan on that type of fish keep an eye on the shrimp and keep it fed. I would add more snails and less crabs.
Here is a picture of my tank...3 months on...
img_1003068_0_d38e8afed24e9ccc6c4e5e170799d9db.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom