Tank cycled to fast need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acolaojr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need some advise I started running my 34 gallon tank with 31 lbs of live rock for a little over a week. I then added one raw shrimp my ammonia jumped up to .25 in one day and my nitrites jumped to .10 it's been about six days since I added the shrimp and I'm down to 0 on everything my nitrates never spiked. Should I add a fish or maintenance crew? Or another shrimp thanks in advance.

Your ammonia and nitrites had to go somewhere. Are you using an API liqiud test? If you are, you really have to shake the bottle with the clear liquid a lot to get an accurate reading. Follow the instructions very closely otherwise it doesnt read correctly

Yeah I have an API test kit. I'm doing exactly what's in the instructions. I'm thinking maybe I should take some water to the LFS and have them test it. Maybe I have a bad kit?

But now that I'm looking at the logs it gradually went to 0 over a couple of days. Any ideas?

What went to zero? Your ammonia and nitrites or your nitrates? Your ammonia and nitrites will gradually go to zero as your beneficial bacteria build up. Then you nitrates will also build up

My ammonia and nitrites gradually went to 0. There are no nitrates and there never was? The shrimp is rotting away and I'm confused???? I should see nitrates right?

Not sure about your API test kit but mine takes at least 30 minutes for the nitrate level to register. The five minutes it says to wait shows nothing. I'm converting ammonia like crazy and have off the chart nitrites.

it will continue to rise the longer you wait if at 5 min there are no nitrates then you are fine. your tank will start to get nitrates after a couple days it takes a little bit to build up to where it can be read in the tests

Gotta shake the second nitrate bottle for 30 seconds before adding.

Then the test water and the 10 drops from each bottle have to be shaken for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom