Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lepomis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Finally got the tank up and going for my first salt water venture. So far everything seems to be fine after a little over a week. My alkalinity is a little low so will look into increasing it.

Tank:75 g
Lighting: 6 x 54W T5HO
140 pounds of base rock
80 pounds sand
Aquaclear 110 (awaiting live rock rubble)
300 watt titanium heater
Seio 620
Aqua C Remora with bubble trap

pH: ~ 8.0 (taking sample to work in the morning)
Salinity: 1.024
Calcium: 540 (Reef crystals)
kH: 7 °
ammonia: 1
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 0

img_832274_0_f4fa5717438ed239d1812a3077f2e051.jpg

Your aquascape looks lovely. No live rock to seed the base? I don't think you need to worry about the Alk at this time or do anything but wait. You'll need to perform a water change as soon as your tank cycles and it's likely to come up to normal levels then. I think you only need to wait for the cycle to complete. There's a good article in the article section regarding cycling tanks. Good luck.

Very nice aquascape. A sixline would love all those holes.

Depending on whether or not you want corals, I would think about adding another powerhead on the left side of the tank aimed towards the one on the right.

There's no need messing with the pH or alk of a newly established tank. Most new tanks have a low pH but once the water params stabilize over the next several months the pH should be around 8.1-8.2 by itself and stable.

Wow 540ppm for the Ca. At least you won't have to dose!

I had not planned on changing any parameters until the cycle is complete and see what the readings are. I do plan on seeding with some live rock next week if I can find some I like. I don't like the rock at my LFS (nor the prices) so will have to depend on the internet. There are a lot of holes, nooks, etc... in the rock work. I spent a lot of time doing dry runs on a carboard template to see what I could come up with. I will look into another powerhead it definitely won't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom