Tank cycling help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ncc490

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a general idea of what i think cycling is but i just wanted to ask just in case. When you cycle a tank you just let the filter run for about 4-8 weeks until the water reaches the proper chemical levels right?

Sorta kinda. You need to add an ammonia source. Ammonia comes from fish poop, raw shrimp rotting in the tank etc. bacteria will eventually build up to "eat" the ammonia. That will cause nitrItes to build up, then another bacteria will "eat" the nitrite and turn that into nitrAtes. Ammonia and nitrites are real bad for fish and when you finish cycling you should have no nitrites or ammonia. Fish can handle some nitrAtes and you can remove those from doing water changes. But to start it all off you have to have something to feed (ammonia) the good bacteria

You are on the right track. I would say its more 6 to 8 weeks. Idk but 4 weeks may be to short. What you are trying to accomplish is starting the nitrogen cycle. Which after the cycle has complete and you parameters are in good condition. When this happens your tank should have good bacteria. Why is it important? Well, ammonia which is fish waste. This can be very toxic to pretty much anything. This ammonia turns into nitrite and the good bacteria pretty much consumes it, in return you get nitrate. Then doing water changes you get rid of nitrates. All you will need to start the cycle is something to cause an ammonia spike. Many people use a raw shrimp. You can use fish but this is extermly hard on the fish itself. I think you can do it with live rock, in which the cycle time could be shorter but I would still recommend the 6 to 8 weeks. Just to make sure your cycle has completed. While doing your tests over the 6 to 8 weeks you will be wanting to see a spike in ammonia then nitrite then nitrate. But you have to make sure that your nitrite goes low and stays low before adding. After this has happen you should do a 15 to 20 percent water change. I think then you will be ready for certain types of fish inverts and corals.

Thanks for the help ill post any updates if i have any questions

My tank cycled very quickly. I started with live sand and live rock on June 22. It cycled in 3 weeks. I didn't believe it but the tests were consistent. I think all of the rock and sand made a big difference. I added my first fish today 1 month and 1 day since I put the water in! A test kit is really the only way to know if the cycle is complete.

Back
Top Bottom