Tank disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I woke up this morning and found all my clocks to be flashing. Apparently I lost power sometime after 6am when I got to bed and before 1:30 when I woke up. I don't know how long power was down, but it had been back up for about an hour an a half when I woke up. Wasn't supposed to be up for another hour or so, but you ever get one of those feelings?

Anyway, I wander downstairs to let my dogs out and I can hear this loud, real unhappy buzzing. I thought it was a problem with the ph I've got cycling my new tank, but it was fine. Turns out it was my main return pump for my 55. For some unknown reason my overflow siphon did not restart when my power came back on. I've shut it off countless times before and never had a problem with restart, but this time it was a no-go. My display was filled to its absolute top, 1 more oz and I would have had wet carpet. I have 2 ph's in the display and both kicked back on when power was returned, but both are deep in the tank and don't do anything for gas exchange. I rely on the dump into the sump for oxygenation and the sump return to break the water surface in the display. I got the siphon started and did a water check which turned out fine.

The tank looked absolutely awful. All my corals looked like they'd been microwaved. My 2 fish seem to have weathered it ok, but 1 of my shrimp was mia and my 2nd was alive but apparently immobile. He finally moved about 10 minutes later but it was like none of his legs were working and he just kind of flopped over. Even the pods in my fuge looked dead, but they got moving again once water flow was restored.
By this time I was running late for work so I had to leave.

I got home from work tonight (around 330 am which will answer the "he went to bed at 6am?" questions :) ). My clown seems to be ok, can't see my CB, but he always sleeps behind the rocks so I'll see in the am. My 1 live shrimp was crab food so I'm assuming he's dead. From the looks of things I think I'll lose at lest half my coral over the next couple days, I'm guessing about $300 in livestock. The rest might go later, I'll just have to wait and see.
The water tested fine again when I got home, but the entire tank looks like death warmed over and I''m afraid will end up being a total wipe. I'd start moving everything to my new display but it hasn't completed its cycle and I'm still waiting for part to show up so I can build the new fuge and get it all up and running. And I haven't even started building the hood and lighting yet. I think I'm going to move some of my LR over to speed things up a bit, but its still going to take some time before its ready to go.

All in all it was a pretty bad day. I'm going to be looking into a UPS on the new system to hopefully prevent a recurrence of this.

Sorry to hear that. Did the tank cool too much? Did something toxic die to cause the die-off? I've lost the siphon before while on vacation and returned to find an algae overgrown cesspool but everything survived. A few hours of no power doesn't seem bad enough to cause the damage you describe. I would look for other aggravating conditions to prevent further damage.
Maybe a large water change and increased flow might help bring things "back to life". Of course everyone's tank is different. Good luck...

That's terrible.. sorry man :(

It's frustrating when things beyond our control go wrong. Seems to be happening a lot lately too. :?

Hope you can bounce back to full strength soon!

indy said:
I got home from work tonight (around 330 am which will answer the "he went to bed at 6am?" questions :) )

I don't think thats odd at all. I don't even get out of work til 6am. Good luck with the recovery and upgrade.

Sorry about you tank :(
I wouldn't move anything if the water tests out fine. It would definately add to the stress.

I don't have anything toxic that I know of, no cucumbers or anything. I think the water just got too low on oxygen and it really affected the corrals and shrimp. The fish seem fine and had normal appetite today. Two of my corals appear normal, everything else looks like they're dieing. And the shrimp are definately dead which really sucks. I'll be moving the fish, crabs and snails out as soon as the new tank checks ok so that they won't irritate any of the living corals. But that's still at least a couple weeks away, and is sooner than I really wanted. I like to wait a while after the cycle appears complete just in case.

Lost my coral beauty last night. Clown seems ok still and the corals aren't looking any worse yet. Some of them might pull through yet.

Back
Top Bottom