Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank filled---waitng to clear and have questions

Just filled up my first sw tank (23 gallons). I found someone locally who had pallets of the good sand(yard right) so I decided to use a full 40lbs. At first it looked to be a 4inch sb but has now turned to a more compact 3 inches. I dont have a filter on there yet and its murky as hell. How long should I wait to create water movement? Can I put a shrimp in right away or should I wait a day or so to let stuff settle?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...php?photo=8148

-Jason

Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Whether you have a filter or not your water will be murky for the first couple weeks or so anytime you stir the sand up. I would turn on ph's and put the shrimp in now - no reason to delay your cycle any longer than you have to.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Only problem is....I dont have any powerheads yet. I just put an order into bigals so I wont have the 2 I ordered for a week or so(If im lucky). I do have a penguin 330 or a penguin 125 I could throw on there. Is flow neccesary when putting the shrimp in?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm rather new myself but I'm pretty sure you want flow with the shrimp. It will help spread the bacteria and keep your water from getting stale.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Throw the shrimp in, start the penguin 330 without a filter in place. That should be plenty for water movement for cycling. You could even use some filter media minus the carbon to filter out some of the lighter silt.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I run a biowheel 330 and a biowheel emporer 280 on my 38. That is my filtration. They work fine. I'd throw them on for now. Just to get get things started anyways. I would use the filters with media unless you plan on a ton of rock. In that case all you need is a powerhead.

I have media in place with the biowheels and have 0 nitrates.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

It looks abit clearer this morning. I think Ill add the shrimp and the 330 as suggested.

-Jason

Tags
clear, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com