Tank filled---waitng to clear and have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXclownin'

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just filled up my first sw tank (23 gallons). I found someone locally who had pallets of the good sand(yard right) so I decided to use a full 40lbs. At first it looked to be a 4inch sb but has now turned to a more compact 3 inches. I dont have a filter on there yet and its murky as hell. How long should I wait to create water movement? Can I put a shrimp in right away or should I wait a day or so to let stuff settle?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8148

-Jason

Whether you have a filter or not your water will be murky for the first couple weeks or so anytime you stir the sand up. I would turn on ph's and put the shrimp in now - no reason to delay your cycle any longer than you have to.

Only problem is....I dont have any powerheads yet. I just put an order into bigals so I wont have the 2 I ordered for a week or so(If im lucky). I do have a penguin 330 or a penguin 125 I could throw on there. Is flow neccesary when putting the shrimp in?

I'm rather new myself but I'm pretty sure you want flow with the shrimp. It will help spread the bacteria and keep your water from getting stale.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Throw the shrimp in, start the penguin 330 without a filter in place. That should be plenty for water movement for cycling. You could even use some filter media minus the carbon to filter out some of the lighter silt. :mrgreen:

I run a biowheel 330 and a biowheel emporer 280 on my 38. That is my filtration. They work fine. I'd throw them on for now. Just to get get things started anyways. I would use the filters with media unless you plan on a ton of rock. In that case all you need is a powerhead.

I have media in place with the biowheels and have 0 nitrates.

It looks abit clearer this morning. I think Ill add the shrimp and the 330 as suggested. :D

-Jason

Back
Top Bottom