Tank fog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

need4fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, after a couple of days of a crystal clear 150g tank I walk in tonight to a foggy tank. Not cloudy but appears to look like fog swirling around. I haven't started cycling yet. I have a 50g sump and no skimmer yet. 200lbs of rock 100lbs being live, 4" sand bed. I'm also running a circulating pump that runs through two house canister filters, sediment and carbon. Any thoughts?

The live rock could have started the cycle and the result is a bacteria bloom . Normal part of the cycle and probably isn't an issue .

Wow, scary, obviously I'm new to this. Thanks. Just seems weird that after a couple days of clear water this event. When should I expect it to clear?

It will be clear when it is clear. Sorry, I know this is not much help, but each tank cycles differently. The fog for most tanks generally clear 2-3 days. The only other thing you can do is watch your ammonia and nitrates levels.

Just as a tip nitrates and phosphates go hand in hand. When the nitrates are high the pH is low. When the nitrates starts to drop after the cycle the pH should rise.

I haven't picked up a water test kit yet, what should the readings be when it clears up? Would I have to feed the bacteria with ammonia to sustain it?
Or is this an indication that I'm cycled? That is, when it clears up. I understand that the ppm numbers should be 0 in a 24 hour period. I guess
I'm kinda excited about this whole saltwater thing. I've been reading so much my eyeballs start to hurt. Thanks again!

Some people put in an ammonia booster or use raw shrimp. It all depends on what is available at your lfs...or you can shop online

you know your cycle is done is when you boost your ammonia and the following day the ammonia should drop back down to 0.

Your ammonia must be 0 (this is an absolute), nitrates are generally 0 (it is not a big deal if it is between 0-5), nitrites can be around 0-20

Thanks! I'll pick up ammonia and start dosing. Will let everyone know as I progress.

Back
Top Bottom