Tank Found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been looking for a 60x24x24 for about a month in my local area, one LFS said they could order one for me with two side overflows for about $580. Well they called me back and told me the total was going to be right at $800, (this is just a tank alone). I told them I would look around for a better $, they said I don't blame you,LOL.

I picked up the local thrifty nickel today and saw a ad for a store called aquarium outlet, gave a call and told them I was looking for a 60 inch tank, yes was her answer, I was on to something here, she went on to describe it and it was everything I need, side overflow, glass, pedrilled w/ 5 HOLES, what the #$#@. She said that if I didnt need all 5 holes that she could plug them, is this possible or has anybody heard of plugging glass holes,LOL, sry. The way she decribed them, that all 5 were in the overflow.

Anyway, I'm going to check it out on my lunch break today, oh yeah, she want $550 for it, what do you think?

glass w/ overflows and pre-drilled I can see being a little pricey... $550 might be high... but it sounds like it's just what you need.

what you might find though, are the "side overflows" she's telling you it has are quite likely tucked into the corner. When you go, if it's not what you're looking for explaining to her (sketch it on paper) and see if she's willing to help. Unfortunetly, it will likely be along the same lines as your other LFS. :?

the holes can be pluged by first installing a normal bulkhead, and then threading into the bulkhead a simple threaded pipe plug.

Your price does not supprise me ... LFS near here wanted $300 for a drilled 90!

I think LFS attach too much margain to their tanks, or are getting ripped by their supplier. If you really enjoy the service from your LFS and have the budget, go for it.

Otherwise, call a few glass stores and find one that will drill a tank for you, and then get your tank from Petco or Petsmart, who charge about 1/2 what an LFS does but don't drill.

as for "side overflows" ... I have seen tanks with a tempered bottom having drain holes drilled in a side wall rather than the bottom. 5 holes sounds excessive for a tank of moderate capacity like your 150.

I'm afraid they're going to be along the long side of the tank... which won't work for him at all (IIRC). He wants the tank visible from both long sides of the tank.

yea, with 5 holes, they would have to be along the 'back' wouldn't they ... maybe like 2 near each end and one in the middle or something.

keep looking, something will turn up.

keep looking, something will turn up. [/url]Or be adventurous and build one :eek:)

1/4" acrylic sheets from Home Depot can't be that expensive are they?

Well I went and looked at the tank and put a deposit down. Now I have to go home and rip out wall and build my stand in two weeks.

The overflow was on the side with 5 holes. We talked it over and I'm going to keep all 5, two running to the sump and two coming back up for flow on each side of the overflow. The other hole will be used to run my electric from the bottom to the top of the tank for lights and PH through PVC, does that make sense? I did see a 225gal with the overflow in the middle, but once I build rock around it there would'nt be much room in front or in back of it for fish swimming room.

This place was amazing, they had the cabinet workshop and the tank builup in the same building. They can build whatever you want.

Wish me luck,LOL

sounds like a nifty store! are they a full blown LFS or no?

Best of luck! I think you're going to have a great tank when you're done.

Just remember when you're building the base for that tank that it will be extreemely heavy. 60x24x24 is apx 150 gallons which is 1200 pounds of just water. then add 300 lbs of LR then another 300 lbs sand you're looking at almost 1 ton.

just a friendly reminder :mrgreen:

Thanks Billy,

I was planning on about 2000lbs of weight, so I'm going with 4x4's on the corners and one in the middle of each long side. I figure that should be sufficient with 2x4's and a deck for the rest of the frame buildup.

The store is strickly a tank and cabinet shop, they dont have a website so I really can't share much info with you. If your ever in the panhandle of Fl, its a must see!

KEEP IT LEVEL!!!! lol

Later

Oh Yeah,

I'm going to take pix of progress to share with everyone.

You know I just thought of something, if my wife submits this to be done on "While You Were Out" I might get a free vacation for two days and when I get back it will all be done. Sounds like a plan! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom