Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could get a few different types of gobies (not the same species if they aren't paired). Say a watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair (awesome symbiotic relationship), hi fin red banded goby, and neon blue goby (just naming ones I like, you could get whatever goby as most don't grow big). You could get one false percula clown and a firefish (love both fish). I have a purple firefish and the colors are so much greater than that of the red ones IMO. And a cleaner shrimp if you want.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I have a clown in my tank? I could use him as a center piece then a goby and some firefish?
Do gobys, blennys, and jawheads just scout across them ground? I don't know to much about them. I assume each species of blenny would be different but they must have a general behavior...

Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should only have one firefish since they need to be a mated pair or else they will fight and plus 3 3" fish are too much for your tank. Blennies (except for the barnacle blenny) get too big they usually get to 5". Jawfish need 5" of sand which means less water which means less fish. I mean you can do a deep sand bed, but not worth it for that fish. I mean they are docile and don't come out much, mostly in their burrow then dart for food when they can).

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I couldn't do a clown firefish and a goby?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

No those fish are fine. It was the jawfish and blenny that wouldn't work out.

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's awesome could I put all 3 in?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also are all gobys easy to take care of or are each more sensitive?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Scratch putting three in. There is not enough surface area... Now I need to decide between the three. Could I also have a cuc or is that a no?
Also once I get the cured live rock will I still need to cycle the tank and could I use the media from my freshwater tanks to seed the new tank or is that a big no no?

What do you think would look best? I think it will really depend on what my lfs has in stock...
Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The surface area doesn't really matter. It's how much of a bioload there will be. If you just wanted 2 fish, I'd suggest the firefish instead of the clownfish. And most gobies have an easy to moderate care level. Just know the carolina goby lives in coldwater systems so before you fall in love with it's brilliant colors, don't get it! 3 fish should be fine as long as you add them slowly and after your cycle is complete. Yes a CUC would be good to have for eating the excess food and waste and eating fish or inverts that have died before they fully decayed. Often, fish will hide and starve then die and you won't be able to take them out, so it's good to have a CUC that takes care of it before the decomposing waste eventually turns into nitrates. Reefcleaners.com is a good website for ordering and reading about some basic CUC members.

Yes even with LR you will still need to cycle it. If you have a lot of cured rock you probably won't need another source of ammonia and it could cycle quicker than it would with another method of cycling. If not, say you have some LR and base rock or all base rock, you need another source of ammonia so you could put a table shrimp in a net in your tank and let it rot or dose pure ammonia.

Freshwater bacteria is different from saltwater bacteria so that won't work..don't add it.

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I can do three I'm good with that. Would they be able to have territories or are they not like that? Thanks for the info on the carolina goby. I was thinking of it lol. But if I can get three of them that would be awesome! As long as there will be enough oxygen in the tank and have what they need.
And LR produces ammo? Or I did I just miss read that? I could just dose ammo but if shrimp will work I can just do that. As long as it will work

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com