Tank In Wall Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yanek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy. I live in the Northern Virginia area and am in the extremely early stages of looking into a talk-in-wall setup. I have a 75G right now that's in its own "fish room" ... the fish room is adjacent to a hallway, the storage room, and the big room with the pool table. It's in the wall that's adjacent to the pool room that I'm planning on putting the tank. I'd like to go 180, but I'm not sure (a) I've got the room, and (b) can really truly handle it :)

Anyone know of contractors in the area I might want to talk to? I need LOTS of advice :)

-Yanek.

Please make sure it is a good distance from the pool table, especially if you have kids. :wink: I'm in central VA so I can't recommend any contractors in your area.

ACTUALLY, I just found out that a co-worker of mine used to install tanks in walls with his Dad back in the day. So this may just turn into a DIY project. I still won't have time to start until next year though.

search our boards here. There's been a couple members that have done inwall setups and they've turned out remarkable! They posted regular updates with pics and lots of folks had chipped in with advice and questions... could prove invaluable.

Heh, yeah there was one nightmare thread in particular I remember reading. Something about contractor delays... it's an ongoing thing. So perhaps if I do it myself and get people who are honestly interested in saltwater aquaria & interested in DIY I'll get a project that will move smoothly and everyone will be happy with and eager to do well.

Maybe I'm just dreaming. :)

I can't express enough how locating any tank of any size in the same room as a pool table is a BAD IDEA. Its always the "I never thought that could happen" that gets you 180 gallons of water, fish, sand and all kinds of nasties on your floor in about 3.5 seconds. I'm not saying don't do it, but I would keep several 20 gallon shop vacs on hand and...don't get too attached to the fish.
2 cents,

We're talking about tempered glass here, right? Hmm... what about protective measures? Is there something I can do to protect the tank from someone throwing a cue ball at the tank, for instance?

keep plenty of distance between the tank and the table and dont put the tank at one of the short ends of the table (picture what might happen after a "wild" break and the cueball comes off the table.) If its on the same side as the longer side of the table, it'll be less likely for someone to put that much effort into a shot that comes off the table. They only other thing... don't let kids play unsupervised. :)

When I got the table, I intentionally put the head rail (short side, FROM which you break) closest to the tank, that way you'd always be breaking AWAY from the tank. Now, if someone uses a lot of force in a tankular direction, that could cause problems. In 2 years, I haven't seen it happen. Balls have left the table, and with good distance, sometimes, but not with the height and distance that would be necessary to cause catastrophe. Granted, it only has to happen once. I wonder if I can reinforce the front of the tank with an acrylic shield...

yanek said:
I wonder if I can reinforce the front of the tank with an acrylic shield...
This is exactly what I would have recommended. I was about to post it and I saw that you had already thought of it. Maybe a piece of 1/2" Lexan set in the wall in front of the tank to make sure that mischevious teenagers don't play pool without you knowing...and trash your expen$ive tank with a bad/misplaced shot. If the Lexan gets scratched or cracked, it is replaceable. Just don't clean it with Windex. Windex causes crazing in Lexan.

SO. A call for help. Anyone who's done an in-wall aquarium in the CORNER of a room so that it's visible from other rooms on 2 sides? I'm trying to figure out exactly what it will take to frame out around the corner properly...

Back
Top Bottom