Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2004, 11:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to yanek Send a message via Yahoo to yanek
Tank In Wall Project

Howdy. I live in the Northern Virginia area and am in the extremely early stages of looking into a talk-in-wall setup. I have a 75G right now that's in its own "fish room" ... the fish room is adjacent to a hallway, the storage room, and the big room with the pool table. It's in the wall that's adjacent to the pool room that I'm planning on putting the tank. I'd like to go 180, but I'm not sure (a) I've got the room, and (b) can really truly handle it

Anyone know of contractors in the area I might want to talk to? I need LOTS of advice

-Yanek.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Please make sure it is a good distance from the pool table, especially if you have kids. I'm in central VA so I can't recommend any contractors in your area.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:19 PM   #3

ACTUALLY, I just found out that a co-worker of mine used to install tanks in walls with his Dad back in the day. So this may just turn into a DIY project. I still won't have time to start until next year though.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

search our boards here. There's been a couple members that have done inwall setups and they've turned out remarkable! They posted regular updates with pics and lots of folks had chipped in with advice and questions... could prove invaluable.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've done one, I'll help, I love DIY's

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:10 AM   #6

Heh, yeah there was one nightmare thread in particular I remember reading. Something about contractor delays... it's an ongoing thing. So perhaps if I do it myself and get people who are honestly interested in saltwater aquaria & interested in DIY I'll get a project that will move smoothly and everyone will be happy with and eager to do well.

Maybe I'm just dreaming.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can't express enough how locating any tank of any size in the same room as a pool table is a BAD IDEA. Its always the "I never thought that could happen" that gets you 180 gallons of water, fish, sand and all kinds of nasties on your floor in about 3.5 seconds. I'm not saying don't do it, but I would keep several 20 gallon shop vacs on hand and...don't get too attached to the fish.
2 cents,
Old 09-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #8

We're talking about tempered glass here, right? Hmm... what about protective measures? Is there something I can do to protect the tank from someone throwing a cue ball at the tank, for instance?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

keep plenty of distance between the tank and the table and dont put the tank at one of the short ends of the table (picture what might happen after a "wild" break and the cueball comes off the table.) If its on the same side as the longer side of the table, it'll be less likely for someone to put that much effort into a shot that comes off the table. They only other thing... don't let kids play unsupervised.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:01 PM   #10

When I got the table, I intentionally put the head rail (short side, FROM which you break) closest to the tank, that way you'd always be breaking AWAY from the tank. Now, if someone uses a lot of force in a tankular direction, that could cause problems. In 2 years, I haven't seen it happen. Balls have left the table, and with good distance, sometimes, but not with the height and distance that would be necessary to cause catastrophe. Granted, it only has to happen once. I wonder if I can reinforce the front of the tank with an acrylic shield...

Tags
project, tan, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com