tank is almost done cycling. lights arent in yet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dreamin_reefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys i'm just about done cycling my first saltwater tank. Its a 55 gal. I have a problem tho. i got a little behind on getting the skimmer and lights in. theyve been shipped but are not in yet. they should be here by next week. all the water parameters are good to add fish but i dont want to add fish without the lights. so i guess my question is should i go ahead and use fish food to keep ammonia feeding the nitrifying bacteria? or can i get some snails maybe a few hermits without lights? like i said the lights should be here by early next week at the latest. the tank has a deep sand bed and i am using a rena xp3 with liverock rubble to help filter. I've got alot of base rock already in the tank and a few peices of live rock but i didnt want to invest alot in the live rock then have it all but die off with no lights during the cycle. any suggestions are appreciated. i also want to say thank you to all the people out there that have put so much information on this site and made this whole hobby so much less complicated.

You`ll be OK till the lights get there. As you suggested just add a few flakes in there if your cycle is complete. Just remember that light does not feed the nitrifying bacteria just ammonia and nitrites. You will be OK.

btw the lights are coralife power compact. 4x65watts and the tank is standard 20 inches tall. this gives me around 4.7 wpg. any suggestions on if i can have any lower light corals after i get the tank stabalized?

Not sure about corals, yet, but that sounds about right for a decent variety. I agree with Mel, a pinch of food to keep the good stuff alive.

You will be fine with just about anything with those lights , shrooms, zoas, LPS such as , trumpet corals , ect . The one thing that I would avoid are SPS, and anenomes .
As for the lights you will be fine till they get there , you could even add a few snails and hermits after your cycle showes compleated ....

too bad on the anenomes i was hoping that those wouldnt be on my do not add list. I guess i'll have to wait untill i can upgrade. thanks for the help

But you can sure get alot of nice soft coral and LPS. I have less watts per gallon than you and i have this tank. I only show you to show that you have many choices with what lighting you have.

img_731968_0_69cdf69bd65ad83e93060b474a873f29.jpg

dreamin_reefer said:
too bad on the anenomes i was hoping that those wouldnt be on my do not add list. I guess i'll have to wait untill i can upgrade. thanks for the help
Hey, props for not trying to "push" the issue, save up and get lights when you can. You have plenty of time and can enjoy your tank and critters while you save up and decide what you want to add in the future. I have sand and tank set up for a new 125G (haven't started cycling yet, just got it filled up tonight, and really don't have too much of an idea of my new critters), so I have at LEAST 4-6 weeks to ponder.....

Yeah I'd rather have a tank full of happy critters than a tank full of dying ones because i couldnt provide the right conditions for them to thrive in... Besides i've been researching/contemplating a sw tank for nearly 2 years. theres no need to rush it at this point. Like you said theres plenty that i can enjoy on my budget for the time being. the best is yet to come.

I also forgot to add that anenomes do better in an established tank, of 6-12 months.

yeah i remember reading that they do better in established tanks... i guess that gives me some time to get some new lights...

Back
Top Bottom