Tank is in the cycle, but.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jedihunter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Weird Gray blotches are apearing in live rock and in some spots in the sand.
Any idea?
will try to post pics as soon as possible

JH

The tank is a month Old or so, looks like slimey grey patches that are owning the whole tank and live rock.

Actually i am only using Sun light.

I would siphon it out. Anything that is starting to take over the tank needs to kept in check. I forget the name of it, but slimes are undesirable.

You're going to have big algae problems if you're using sun light. Try to keep the tank dark till it's fully cycled. And try increasing waterflow. Whats your water source?

Water is all distilled.

this thing is grey like slime, but its only in few spots of the sand and in the rocks, camera seems to reflect a lot so seems like no pictures.

tried the syphon but it's really sticked on the rocks and sand.

Any idea?

JH

It sounds a lot like the stuff I have and maybe since you don't have fluorescent lighting it looks grey instead of white. Check out the thread called Snow caps on rock in the general section and see if that's it.

If not then it could be cyanobacteria and you need to increase the waterflow.

hmm. something fishy is happening here.

As i stated before the tank is in the cycle.

the first inhabitants (ones that came bundled in uncured rock) died.

then the grey matter (slime looking stuff) went away as when you make gloves with polyvinyl chloride glue and peel em off!!!!

I don't know why but today even the sand looks clearer, the water looks clearer and like 200 micro red worms are stuck on glass!!!

what do you think?
Cycle accelerated?
or all the animals are showing off before diying?

JH

Jedihunter said:
the first inhabitants (ones that came bundled in uncured rock) died.
If the ammonia in the tank peaked and no water changes where done to bring it down/control it, this is to be expected. Nothing abnormal.

then the grey matter (slime looking stuff) went away as when you make gloves with polyvinyl chloride glue and peel em off!!!!
Sounds like die off from either an encrusting organism (sponge?, coralline?) or other life. Once the cycle is in full swing, the bacteria and remaining fauna will finish it off rather quickly.

I don't know why but today even the sand looks clearer, the water looks clearer and like 200 micro red worms are stuck on glass!!!

what do you think?
Cycle accelerated?
or all the animals are showing off before diying?
Could either be a flatworm population explotion or more likely the bristleworms in your tank have reproduced. Do a google image search for epitokes.

Cheers
Steve

yeah they look like epitokes.

i know the amonia peak is normal
but the all turning clear unexpectedly is what amazes me the most,

Could it be cause of the unexpected worm pop explotion?

JH

Jedihunter said:
Could it be cause of the unexpected worm pop explotion?
To hard to say why it happened if that was what it is, other than a normal reproductive cycle. Usually an abundance of foods will generate a larger population though.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom