Tank is Ready - Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jk1nole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 65 gallon is cycled and ready. Right now I just have live rock in there. I am pretty sure that I have a tiny bit of Aiptasia I need to take care of.

What is a good amount of stock to start with? I was going to buy some snails and hermits today. How many should I buy of each for a 65 gallon? I was also going to pick up a pair of Clowns.

Main main goal is to start a nice reef. Can I put any type of corals in there yet? What are some inexpensive starters that look nice?

mushrooms and kenya tree look good IMO, and i woulnt add more than 3 at a time , do u have a QT tank, thats a really helpful and ill advice you to get one, and dont get damsels first that will be something that you will regret

If it was me I would just put fish in there first and get the tank to stabilize. In a couple months you should be able to start off with some easy corals. If you get a pair of clowns make sure they are a mated pair.

IMO you should forget the flame angel if you want a nice reef like you said in your OP.

i would say tammed damsels and clowns to start off just make sure u get a mated pair if clowns they help to kick off your filtaration and stock every month i would say if u wish if not longer

ill go with clowns but not the damsels the only tame one i know are chromis and clowns but not all clowns, if u really want damsels you should put them at th end

Go black and white ocellaris clowns. Maybe a gobie or two? Some snails, Only about 1-2 hermit for now. Shrimp?

Dunno, But i wouldnt go the demsals.

+1 i have 2 black and white clowns and they look pretty cool, also if you have babies some day and you wanna trade them in they will give you alot for them

my damsels never gave me problems but then most damsels r very terroity :)
i have

2 damsels
2 clowns
1 yellow tang
1 brown tang (great character not many people like them )
1 coral beauty
thats what i have and enjoying it :) and clean up crew of corse:)

How much rock you got in there? That'll help determine a CUC size IMO. Otherwise, I'd do 2 hermits and 2 snails and a goby and wait for two weeks to make sure evrything is doing well (critters, water chemistry), then think about your pair of clowns.

You're gonna have diatom blooms soon. Look it up. You might not want your coral to go thru that. The diatoms'll go away in short time. If the water is still stable thru that, then think about your clown pair maybe.

And get the Garlic Guard ASAP to soak food for all the fish as it helps with their immune systems.

Good luck.

Last edited:
How much rock you got in there? That'll help determine a CUC size IMO. Otherwise, I'd do 2 hermits and 2 snails and a goby and wait for two weeks to make sure evrything is doing well (critters, water chemistry), then think about your pair of clowns.

very good point thats what i did at first had my clean up crew best way, for hermits just in case try and get spare shells when they get bigger need to move a new home :)

Back
Top Bottom