Tank Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducati1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is probably a stupid question but. I am picking up a 30 Gal rectangle tank. I was going to use a solid glass or plexi glass cover with a cutout for the skimmer and stuff. If I buy a lighting hood unit all one piece does that just sit on top of the glass cover or do I have to make a cutout for the lighting hood..

If it's NO lights, it should be fine w/o a cutout. What kind of lights are you going to get? Fish only setup? FOWLR? You can also use eggcrate material to cover the top... $5 at HD and will help with light penetration and air exchange... helps keep the critters from jumping out too ;)

That unit has an acrylic lense cover, so no need to have dual plexiglass on the top as well... a cutout should be fine. Just make sure no water is splashed on it! Eggcrate material would be awesome for that since it will let in the max. light for your corals.

you lost me on eggcrate material..? What would I do with that.? Does anyone make a cover with good lighting that will fit an entire tank. Like a one piece tank hood but with nice lighting instead of the cheap stuff. I have not seen any.. The lighting is my last roadblock before I am ready to go. My last tank was fish only so I never really had to worry about it I used the cheap hood that came with it

Just a thought but I removed my cover completely. After having problems with low pH it was recommended to remove it to increase oxygen exchange. Since its removal my pH has came up and all is well.

The oxygen exchange is also very important for your livestock

Eggcrate

ducati1212 said:
you lost me on eggcrate material..? What would I do with that.?

I believe they are talking about a plastic mesh material (like the milk bottles used to come in) I believe it is sold in the lighting department and is often sold to cover florescent lighting.

It's in the lighting department, ask for eggcrate. It usually comes in white or silver, but there may be other colors. It looks like this in the pic (the top left corner)

Back
Top Bottom