Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tank Noise

We are starting our first tank, and am so excited!! We added the water, sand and live rock and started the cycle, but it sounds like a toilet... I didn't expect it to be silent, but I didn't expect it to be loud either.

Tank Specs:
120g
ASM G3 Skimmer
Mag 9.5 pump
30g fuge
110w VHO 4 light system is on its way

If only the toilet noise would go away..... Any ideas? Or is this just something I'm supposed to get used to...

Old 05-10-2006, 02:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the pumps are whats loud. Ive never used Mag ( is that your return pump? ) And im not sure what pump is on that skimmer. Any powerheads?

Old 05-10-2006, 04:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what are you using for an overflow?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Google on Durso Standpipe. Complete instructions on how to build them.

I'm thinking the overflow boxes and the subsequent waterfall is the noise you're describing. The standpipes will result in a water fall of about an inch or so in the overflow box and will make a huge difference in that noise.

Also, the lines dropping water back into the sump/fuge. Are the pipes or hoses submerged? That'll help the noise also - and of course gott aensure you have a siphon break at the top of that line so it dosn't suck fuge/sump water back in case of a poiwer outage.

I got a mag 12 and 2 mag 7s running and I don't hear any toilet noises. Really not much noise at all from them.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
and of course gott aensure you have a siphon break at the top of that line so it dosn't suck fuge/sump water back in case of a poiwer outage.
you'll never have a back-siphon that sucks water out from a sump/fuge (provided it's below the main tank).

back siphons are only a concern on the return line from the pump where it enters the main tank again.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Although I have dursos on mine, when my valves aren't set right, I get the toilet noise too.

My return line has a ball valve on it and all I have to do is turn it down a little to get the flow just right and the noise goes away.

Someday I'll add fishies.
elzool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you can always get rid of the noise by turning the ball valve, but it's at the expense of decreasing flow.

You need to work on the overflow side and try to get that as quiet as possible in order to keep your potential flow maximized.

When you eliminate the noise by closing the ball valve, you are slowing the flowrate down enough to allow the overflow to "pour" the water through the plumbing. The noise comes from forcing water through the plumbing from a siphon. This causes air to be sucked in as well and gives you the gurgling toilet sound.

Options to help reduce the noise:
- restricting air intake by finding the right sized hole
- standpipe height (this will help with the build-up and flush cycle effect)
- adjusting the depth that the plumbing is underwate where it enters the sump (aim for <2")

Also, eliminating right angles on your overflow plumbing may help as well (use two 45's instead)

HTH,
Ryan
Old 05-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

We have two 160 power heads on the way. The overflow is built into the tank.

Moving the tubing around made a huge difference! There is still a toilet noise and I think the stand pipe may solve it. I'll send my husband to the store to make a stand pipe, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works...

Tags
noise, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com