Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
My tank is an 80 Gallon. I'm using RO/DI water and everything was at 0 TDS when I mixed the salt in the tank. With that being said, I still add Seachem Prime to my water because you never know when the carbon might run out. No I dont have a chlorine tester.
I agree that something killed the good bacteria in the tank, but I'm still comfused why the polyps and featherdusters are alright.
Yesterday I decided to add household ammonia to my tank and last night I had it at 4ppm. So here I am back at step one, but hopefully it works this time around. Maybe I didnt have enought of a cycle with only 2 cocktail shrimp in the tank cause I never came close to 4ppm before.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminkropp View Post
My tank is an 80 Gallon. I'm using RO/DI water and everything was at 0 TDS when I mixed the salt in the tank. With that being said, I still add Seachem Prime to my water because you never know when the carbon might run out. No I dont have a chlorine tester.
I agree that something killed the good bacteria in the tank, but I'm still comfused why the polyps and featherdusters are alright.
Yesterday I decided to add household ammonia to my tank and last night I had it at 4ppm. So here I am back at step one, but hopefully it works this time around. Maybe I didnt have enought of a cycle with only 2 cocktail shrimp in the tank cause I never came close to 4ppm before.
Wow,
This made me do a little bit of research.
I think I have got a really good image of things now.
Water with ammonia added to it for all intensive purposes here should be thought of as
H20 + NH3
Initially, but changes happen depending on the temps and pH level (some of those H's jump from the H20 to form NH4 (ammonium) Instead of (ammonia) NH3.

A Ph level of 8.3 is going to give you a ratio of NH4 to NH3 of 9 to 1 respectively.
That's more ammonium and less ammonia..

The zooxanthellae algae living in your sea polyps take in ammonium that's why they are doing well.

And the amount of Ammonia left over for the ammonia eating bacteria you managed to get started with the shrimp was insufficient for a stressed out little clown fish.

Raise the Ph and the temps a bit to favour the bacteria more by increasing the NH3 to NH4 ratio and you'll likely see better results.

I'm really new to this though and kinda just spitballing..

Tags
cycling, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com