Tank not cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a month ago I started my tank up and added some cured rock from my other tank and 2 dead shrimp for the ammonia. About a week later my ammonia went up to .5-1.0 and since then (3 weeks ago) nothing! No Nitrites or Nitrates. Some polyps on the LR and featherdusters (tiny red ones) seem to be doing fine.

I tried adding a Perc this weekend and it ended up dying.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I dont know what to do

I actually found this web site and posted on a forum concerning ammonia.

Let me think ,, oh yes. Pee in your tank.:whistle:
Seriously, if you don't have/can't get uncontaminated ammonia freely where you are or something. take a cup and pee a little bit in it and add it to your tank.

I've just started my own tank 3 days ago and have done the same thing.
not with fish in there, and I'm not going to put fish in until there is a healthy nitrogen cycle going on and the ph and everything is stable.
I'm not in any rush.

I actually only posted on the site because the comment I spotted said fish urine and human urine need a different bacteria to break down.
This is true initially, as Human urine contains urea, which is then broken down into ammonia by a bacteria that will not hang around once the urea is no longer present and will be replaced by the guys you want that degrade ammonia.

(side note)Urea is what your liver turns ammonia into inside your body as ammonia is toxic to humans. so people with bad livers, kinda suffer ammonia poisoning and that's why they need to go on blood dialysis.
also when we are dehydrated our ammonia levels in our blood increase.

Now the reason i posted was the comment I replied to stated fish have copper based blood and humans have iron based blood so the bacteria will be different. This is false, fish bleed red, red blood cells are found in iron based blood. copper based blood is blue/bluish green and it's what you will find in squid,octopus etc.
Fish blood cells are different to Human blood cells in that they have a black dot on them but they are both iron based.

go on,

No fish in there. The clown was supposed to be my first. Just the polyps and feather dusters now. Nothing else. Not running carbon or skimmer at any point either an pH at 8.3

No fish in there. The clown was supposed to be my first. Just the polyps and feather dusters now. Nothing else. Not running carbon or skimmer at any point either an pH at 8.3

Well no ammonia or NO2-,3- is not a cycled tank.
If you had a cycle started there would be at least some readings , something killed your bacteria?
Do you have a chlorine tester?

How big is the tank? What temps are you running?
Salt? Pee in it?

My tank is an 80 Gallon. I'm using RO/DI water and everything was at 0 TDS when I mixed the salt in the tank. With that being said, I still add Seachem Prime to my water because you never know when the carbon might run out. No I dont have a chlorine tester.
I agree that something killed the good bacteria in the tank, but I'm still comfused why the polyps and featherdusters are alright.
Yesterday I decided to add household ammonia to my tank and last night I had it at 4ppm. So here I am back at step one, but hopefully it works this time around. Maybe I didnt have enought of a cycle with only 2 cocktail shrimp in the tank cause I never came close to 4ppm before.

My tank is an 80 Gallon. I'm using RO/DI water and everything was at 0 TDS when I mixed the salt in the tank. With that being said, I still add Seachem Prime to my water because you never know when the carbon might run out. No I dont have a chlorine tester.
I agree that something killed the good bacteria in the tank, but I'm still comfused why the polyps and featherdusters are alright.
Yesterday I decided to add household ammonia to my tank and last night I had it at 4ppm. So here I am back at step one, but hopefully it works this time around. Maybe I didnt have enought of a cycle with only 2 cocktail shrimp in the tank cause I never came close to 4ppm before.

Wow,
This made me do a little bit of research.
I think I have got a really good image of things now.
Water with ammonia added to it for all intensive purposes here should be thought of as
H20 + NH3
Initially, but changes happen depending on the temps and pH level (some of those H's jump from the H20 to form NH4 (ammonium) Instead of (ammonia) NH3.

A Ph level of 8.3 is going to give you a ratio of NH4 to NH3 of 9 to 1 respectively.
That's more ammonium and less ammonia..

The zooxanthellae algae living in your sea polyps take in ammonium that's why they are doing well.

And the amount of Ammonia left over for the ammonia eating bacteria you managed to get started with the shrimp was insufficient for a stressed out little clown fish.

Raise the Ph and the temps a bit to favour the bacteria more by increasing the NH3 to NH4 ratio and you'll likely see better results.

I'm really new to this though and kinda just spitballing..

Back
Top Bottom