Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank Placement Question

Hello I was wondering about the placement of a 180 gallon tank. I have a large family room where we watch movies with a pretty hefty surround sound system. I am wondering if placing the tank in that room would be harmful to the fish. The tank will be built into the wall so only the front will be exposed. The rest will be accesible from the equipment closet behind the tank. Other than watching tv and listening to music the room will not have too much traffic.

Basically I am wondering if the noise from the home theater (mainly the subwoofer) will disturb the fish.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-18-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I have a similar setup and haven't seen any difference in the fish behavior when the sound is turned up.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 11:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would strongly advise against putting your tank where there is less than the most traffic in your house. Our hobby needs to be seen to be appreciated. If it's in the main traffic area in your house, it will get more attention by both your family, and by YOU, the reefkeeper. Don't put it in a room that gets used occasionally just because it will look cool stuck in the wall. Your pets deserve much better.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have read mixed opinions on this matter. Some literature says place them in low traffic areas to increase the animals comfort and to allow them to feel secure thus having the fish in the open to view. Others say high traffic areas are better for constant supervision and ongoing care and enjoyment. What IS the best method?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
IMO, a high traffic area (well, as high as it gets in a house, it's not like it's in a storefront) is the best place to put fish. They will become accustomed to people in front of the tank, instead of being scared of every shadow and hiding so that you never see them. Of course, it also depends on the type of fish. Oscars and other bigger fish will adapt better than neons or other small schooling fish.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:31 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
IMO you should put the tank where you want it.

Putting the tank in a high traffic area just because its a high traffic area is bad resoning. Some fish are extremly sensitive to stress and having such fish in a high traffic area with people walking by all the time with room lights going on/off all the time, etc can cause undue stress on the system.

About a year ago a member whom I dont think is active any more had problems with is fish and disease after many months of no problems at all. What he figured out was all his health issues started very soon after his wife started doing some inhome daycare. The extra noise/activity of the kids in the house and specificly in the room with the tank where stressing the fish.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the input. Polecat, the room will be used every day and the fish will be seen. By heavy traffic I mean by the front door with kids coming in and out all day long and more direct sunlight on the tank. THe room that is planned is a large family room but it is out of the direct path of the in and out traffic.

Again Thanks!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

For some reason, I got the impression that this room was seldom used. My mistake. Sounds good to me. My stereo system is in the same room with my fish, and it gets rather loud. The fish could care less, they even kinda like Pat Green.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool. Thanks for the input everyone. Now I am off to start building my spot.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com