Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Bigger the tank=easier to maintain stable water conditions. Sw or fw. Powerheads, 2 for each, just different amounts of flow. For ex: i have a 29 sw with 2 korolia 750's in it. For a 4", i would recommend 2 korolia 1050's or one 1050 and one 750. 2 powerheads either way.

Another way to look at it is water changes. If your making your owb water which is more cost effective, youll have to be using a large trashcan to mix the water in for a 40. For a 30 you could use a 5gallon bucket no problem.

As for the whole more fish thing, you could only get 1, maybe 2 more nano fish. Not a huge deal IMO.

Only definite pros are

1: larger footprint equals more space for corals and rockscape.

2: you are less likely to have to upgrade tank sizes down the road.

Hope this helped
Also, the pros don't seem to be vey much worth it. The only pro that is left is the upgrade later on.
__________________

__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

Also, the pros don't seem to be vey much worth it. The only pro that is left is the upgrade later on.
Agreed. Oh and if you buy your water, that still means youll have to buy more, even though its only like 2 gal more.
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Agreed. Oh and if you buy your water, that still means youll have to buy more, even though its only like 2 gal more.
Yeah that's true. I have my 40G upstairs in my room an having a big bin for saltwater mixing is absolutely out of the question. Also, an RO/DI unit is pretty much not possible for now. I know you and Nu-Nu are related and share the 29. Are you happy with your tank? Do you wish you could have had a bigger tank from the get go? Thanks!
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

Yeah that's true. I have my 40G upstairs in my room an having a big bin for saltwater mixing is absolutely out of the question. Also, an RO/DI unit is pretty much not possible for now. I know you and Nu-Nu are related and share the 29. Are you happy with your tank? Do you wish you could have had a bigger tank from the get go? Thanks!
I am totally happy with the tank. We have a 40 fw (go figure) and a 30 gallon sw tank is tge perfect number. Not so small that we have to put alot of time into it and cant manage both tanks, but not so large where it is very expensive.

Oh. And..uhm..mom wouldnt let us go bigger....lol!!
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Haha we do share the tank an it works out well! Half of the work, and twice as much ideas and thought going into the project
We have thought that we wish we had gotten a larger tank from the begining, but it was never really an option because everything costs more when you have a bigger tank. More rock, better filter, stronger heater, stronger powerheads etc etc etc. haha in the long run you do save money by going smaller, even if its only by 10 or so gallons IMO.
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

I am totally happy with the tank. We have a 40 fw (go figure) and a 30 gallon sw tank is tge perfect number. Not so small that we have to put alot of time into it and cant manage both tanks, but not so large where it is very expensive.

Oh. And..uhm..mom wouldnt let us go bigger....lol!!
Thats so true. Also, not too much maintenance=more time enjoying tank. Haha do you think you could post a pic o your tank? I'm lookin for inspiration lol
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Haha we do share the tank an it works out well! Half of the work, and twice as much ideas and thought going into the project
We have thought that we wish we had gotten a larger tank from the begining, but it was never really an option because everything costs more when you have a bigger tank. More rock, better filter, stronger heater, stronger powerheads etc etc etc. haha in the long run you do save money by going smaller, even if its only by 10 or so gallons IMO.
I agree completely. It always seems that the smallest upgrade can result in EVERYTHING being more expensive haha
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Also, do you really think a sump is needed for a 29G? Would I be ok with an Aquaclear 110 or a Marineland Emperor 400?(rated for up to 90G)
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b
Also, do you really think a sump is needed for a 29G? Would I be ok with an Aquaclear 110 or a Marineland Emperor 400?(rated for up to 90G)
Definitly not needed for a 29. Get a good amount of live rock/base rock, plus your AC110 and youll be goo to go..
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Definitly not needed for a 29. Get a good amount of live rock/base rock, plus your AC110 and youll be goo to go..
I really like the look of your tank!! How many pounds of LR/BR did you use? Also, did you add the sand in after or before you added the rock?
__________________

__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium librarygirl Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 32 03-20-2013 12:50 PM
125g Jewel Cichlid tank Question AquaMason Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 01-17-2012 07:53 PM
Minimum tank size question VioletEmber Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 26 01-10-2012 07:16 PM
newb question on a tank nyrep1 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 11-06-2011 09:34 PM
New 29 Gallon Tank! Stocking question and more! gobullschi Nano Reefs 8 09-17-2011 01:23 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.