Tank Question/ What Would YOU Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Austin.b said:
I really like the look of your tank!! How many pounds of LR/BR did you use? Also, did you add the sand in after or before you added the rock?

Thanks! Took a long time to do! Lol. We got about 35 lb of base rock and 2 pounds of live. Haha live rock is sooo expensive we decided to cycle the tank with mysis shrimp, the food. We added half sand, rocks, then the other half of the sand so the structure is secure!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Thanks! Took a long time to do! Lol. We got about 35 lb of base rock and 2 pounds of live. Haha live rock is sooo expensive we decided to cycle the tank with mysis shrimp, the food. We added half sand, rocks, then the other half of the sand so the structure is secure!

Yeah it really is expensive! Lol my lfs is selling it for 2.50 a pond and I might take them up on that offer when I get my tank lol. If you used more live rock, would that speed up the cycle? also, is it possible to put down sand and then the LR? Or would that be dangerous because of sand shifting snails, fish, and such? I really appreciate all you help! Thanks Gboy and Nu-Nu!!!!!

Austin.b said:
Yeah it really is expensive! Lol my lfs is selling it for 2.50 a pond and I might take them up on that offer when I get my tank lol. If you used more live rock, would that speed up the cycle? also, is it possible to put down sand and then the LR? Or would that be dangerous because of sand shifting snails, fish, and such? I really appreciate all you help! Thanks Gboy and Nu-Nu!!!!!

2.50 for live rock?!? Thats a deal! Haha the pieces we got actually had coral on em :) and yes the more live rock=faster cycle! Lol. Ya i dont understand your question very well, but ya you can put down sand, then rock and then more sand! I think you should get base rock because then you can glue all of the pieces together, and make a SICK rock structure! :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
2.50 for live rock?!? Thats a deal! Haha the pieces we got actually had coral on em :) and yes the more live rock=faster cycle! Lol. Ya i dont understand your question very well, but ya you can put down sand, then rock and then more sand! I think you should get base rock because then you can glue all of the pieces together, and make a SICK rock structure! :)

Yeah I thought that was a deal too! Lol I was just scared of the rock falling over if I put it in after the sand. I found you and your brothers build and I'm all caught up with your tank haha when do you think you guys will be finisged with your cycle?:)

Austin.b said:
Yeah I thought that was a deal too! Lol I was just scared of the rock falling over if I put it in after the sand. I found you and your brothers build and I'm all caught up with your tank haha when do you think you guys will be finisged with your cycle?:)

Ya, many people suggest rock first, then sand, or eggcrate then rock then sand, or half sand, rock, rest of sand. All ways are good and the rock wont fall!

Haha yea our thread is pretty informational, because we ask alot of questions!! Im thinking we will be done in another 8-10 days. We are getting close!!!

I have a dsb in my 125g and my 90g and can't say I've seen a difference between them and my other tanks. The 125g has been set up and running since last may or so too.

I'm sure others have had better luck. :) LOL

carey said:
I have a dsb in my 125g and my 90g and can't say I've seen a difference between them and my other tanks. The 125g has been set up and running since last may or so too.

I'm sure others have had better luck. :) LOL

Oh ok lol would a DSB be better for inverts? Or would it still not make a difference? And wow! Huge tanks! haha I've seen some of your stock and tanks and have to say I'm jealous! Lol all looks amazing! Thank you for your help:)

The dsb is supposed to help in the tanks biological health rather than for livestock. As long as you have a 3 inch bed or so you can keep sand sifting sand burrowing creatures.

I'd do a search on dsb's here, there are a ton of threads and you can read what people did and didnt do and how successful they were. I just tried it cause it was supposed to be helpful. In fact I didn't even intend on a dsb in the 90g but i added way way too much sand so now it's about 6 inches deep. lol

Gboy66 said:
Ya, many people suggest rock first, then sand, or eggcrate then rock then sand, or half sand, rock, rest of sand. All ways are good and the rock wont fall!

Haha yea our thread is pretty informational, because we ask alot of questions!! Im thinking we will be done in another 8-10 days. We are getting close!!!

Ok that sounds good. I think I'm also going to go with rock then sand I have another question lol how would you place power heads? I've read that one pointing up for gas exchange and one pointing at the glass. I've also heard that there can't be any dead spots in the tank. Is this info good?

Ya i would think thats pretty good info, just experiment alot, thats what we have been doing, and we need to move it around a bit more :)

Just my opinion I started out with a 20g a month or two ago and I already want bigger lol. I would say go with the bigger one from the get go

Mike1989 said:
Just my opinion I started out with a 20g a month or two ago and I already want bigger lol. I would say go with the bigger one from the get go

Congrats on the tank! Ok, I thought so too, but the cost of everything is a set back. Not to mention the tank is currently freshwater. Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom