Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Question/ What Would YOU Do?

Hi, I have a dilemma. I have the option of starting a 29G saltwater tank or waiting and starting a 40G saltwater tank. In the end, both will be reefs. This will be my first saltwater tank.

29G- if I do end up with the 29G, I would not have a sump/refugium for it. I would probably just use a filter rated for 90-110 gallons. In personal preference, I would not want too many fish. Most of my stock will be inverts. I was thinking about maybe 3-5 fish max. If chosen,i would be able to get started in a month or two. Also, I don't think the 29 would be as expensive as a 40. But, If do go with the 29, it's less room to work with.

40G- for a 40G, I would use my current 40 that's freshwater right now. I would have to wait a while if I do use the 40G. I'm thinking upwards of 5 to 6 months. Another factor that's keeping me away from a 40 is the need for a sump/refugium. For some reason, the sump and such scares me. It just freaks me out lol. Also, it's just more money for a 40(LR, live sand, power heads, more powerful skimmer and such) I fully understand that a saltwater tank will be alot of money regardless of the tank size. With a 40, I could house more fish that simply can't be in a 29. I think I would have about 6-8 fish in there, still mainly focused on inverts though.

I've been debating this for over a month now and would just like some feedback and comments to see what other people's thoughts are. Which tank should I go with? More room in a 40, but much more expensive. Less room in a 29, but no sump/refugium and less expensive. Thank you for your help!!!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand both sides, and i also had that option, or one similar, but i picked 30 mainly because of the price. If its a first saltwater tank i think it would be best to start simple, without the sump and fancy stuff, and then upgrade once you have it all down! This is just my opinion though, so others please add! Haha

Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
I understand both sides, and i also had that option, or one similar, but i picked 30 mainly because of the price. If its a first saltwater tank i think it would be best to start simple, without the sump and fancy stuff, and then upgrade once you have it all down! This is just my opinion though, so others please add! Haha
Oh wow! I didn't even think of this(face palm) that's a very good point! I can't wait to hear others opinions! Lol I've also heard that a bigger tank is easier just because there's more water. Is this true? Or is this only for freshwater? Another question, how many power heads do you think I would need in a 29 and a 40? Maybe 2 in the 29 and 3 or 4 in a 40? Thank you for posting!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

Oh wow! I didn't even think of this(face palm) that's a very good point! I can't wait to hear others opinions! Lol I've also heard that a bigger tank is easier just because there's more water. Is this true? Or is this only for freshwater? Another question, how many power heads do you think I would need in a 29 and a 40? Maybe 2 in the 29 and 3 or 4 in a 40? Thank you for posting!
Ya i have heard that bigger the tank the better because nitrates and ammonia dont build up as quickly and water changes dont need to be as frequent to keep the water quality good. And nope i think 2 powerheads in a 40 would be ok! You should just get stringer ones for a 40 then you would for a 30
Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Ya i have heard that bigger the tank the better because nitrates and ammonia dont build up as quickly and water changes dont need to be as frequent to keep the water quality good. And nope i think 2 powerheads in a 40 would be ok! You should just get stringer ones for a 40 then you would for a 30
I'm sorry, I'm still extremely new to saltwater. What do you mean by stringer ones?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Bigger the tank=easier to maintain stable water conditions. Sw or fw. Powerheads, 2 for each, just different amounts of flow. For ex: i have a 29 sw with 2 korolia 750's in it. For a 4", i would recommend 2 korolia 1050's or one 1050 and one 750. 2 powerheads either way.

Another way to look at it is water changes. If your making your owb water which is more cost effective, youll have to be using a large trashcan to mix the water in for a 40. For a 30 you could use a 5gallon bucket no problem.

As for the whole more fish thing, you could only get 1, maybe 2 more nano fish. Not a huge deal IMO.

Only definite pros are

1: larger footprint equals more space for corals and rockscape.

2: you are less likely to have to upgrade tank sizes down the road.

Hope this helped
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I'm sorry, I'm still extremely new to saltwater. What do you mean by stringer ones?
Ahhhh not your faut! I meant stronger! Haha im sorry
Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Ahhhh not your faut! I meant stronger! Haha im sorry
Ohhh hahaha it's okay. I thought that that was a name or something. Lol it's late and I have school tomm, so I'm a little slow right now hahaha
Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Bigger the tank=easier to maintain stable water conditions. Sw or fw. Powerheads, 2 for each, just different amounts of flow. For ex: i have a 29 sw with 2 korolia 750's in it. For a 4", i would recommend 2 korolia 1050's or one 1050 and one 750. 2 powerheads either way.

Another way to look at it is water changes. If your making your owb water which is more cost effective, youll have to be using a large trashcan to mix the water in for a 40. For a 30 you could use a 5gallon bucket no problem.

As for the whole more fish thing, you could only get 1, maybe 2 more nano fish. Not a huge deal IMO.

Only definite pros are

1: larger footprint equals more space for corals and rockscape.

2: you are less likely to have to upgrade tank sizes down the road.

Hope this helped
I will not be mixing my own water,I will be buying it from my LFS. For the power heads, I will do that in either the 40 or 29. Thanks! If I'm mixing my own saltwater in a 5G bucket, I would need another powerhead and a heater, right? Thank you for your help!!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah man same here.... so overall reef tanks are pretty awesome and you cant go wrong no matter what size you get! Lol. If the 30 and the 40 were the same price i would go bigger odviously, because you do not have to add a sump and fuge all at once, or even at all if you dont want to! Just an idea..

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com