Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Tank Question/ What Would YOU Do?

Hi, I have a dilemma. I have the option of starting a 29G saltwater tank or waiting and starting a 40G saltwater tank. In the end, both will be reefs. This will be my first saltwater tank.

29G- if I do end up with the 29G, I would not have a sump/refugium for it. I would probably just use a filter rated for 90-110 gallons. In personal preference, I would not want too many fish. Most of my stock will be inverts. I was thinking about maybe 3-5 fish max. If chosen,i would be able to get started in a month or two. Also, I don't think the 29 would be as expensive as a 40. But, If do go with the 29, it's less room to work with.

40G- for a 40G, I would use my current 40 that's freshwater right now. I would have to wait a while if I do use the 40G. I'm thinking upwards of 5 to 6 months. Another factor that's keeping me away from a 40 is the need for a sump/refugium. For some reason, the sump and such scares me. It just freaks me out lol. Also, it's just more money for a 40(LR, live sand, power heads, more powerful skimmer and such) I fully understand that a saltwater tank will be alot of money regardless of the tank size. With a 40, I could house more fish that simply can't be in a 29. I think I would have about 6-8 fish in there, still mainly focused on inverts though.

I've been debating this for over a month now and would just like some feedback and comments to see what other people's thoughts are. Which tank should I go with? More room in a 40, but much more expensive. Less room in a 29, but no sump/refugium and less expensive. Thank you for your help!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
I understand both sides, and i also had that option, or one similar, but i picked 30 mainly because of the price. If its a first saltwater tank i think it would be best to start simple, without the sump and fancy stuff, and then upgrade once you have it all down! This is just my opinion though, so others please add! Haha
__________________

__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
I understand both sides, and i also had that option, or one similar, but i picked 30 mainly because of the price. If its a first saltwater tank i think it would be best to start simple, without the sump and fancy stuff, and then upgrade once you have it all down! This is just my opinion though, so others please add! Haha
Oh wow! I didn't even think of this(face palm) that's a very good point! I can't wait to hear others opinions! Lol I've also heard that a bigger tank is easier just because there's more water. Is this true? Or is this only for freshwater? Another question, how many power heads do you think I would need in a 29 and a 40? Maybe 2 in the 29 and 3 or 4 in a 40? Thank you for posting!
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

Oh wow! I didn't even think of this(face palm) that's a very good point! I can't wait to hear others opinions! Lol I've also heard that a bigger tank is easier just because there's more water. Is this true? Or is this only for freshwater? Another question, how many power heads do you think I would need in a 29 and a 40? Maybe 2 in the 29 and 3 or 4 in a 40? Thank you for posting!
Ya i have heard that bigger the tank the better because nitrates and ammonia dont build up as quickly and water changes dont need to be as frequent to keep the water quality good. And nope i think 2 powerheads in a 40 would be ok! You should just get stringer ones for a 40 then you would for a 30
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Ya i have heard that bigger the tank the better because nitrates and ammonia dont build up as quickly and water changes dont need to be as frequent to keep the water quality good. And nope i think 2 powerheads in a 40 would be ok! You should just get stringer ones for a 40 then you would for a 30
I'm sorry, I'm still extremely new to saltwater. What do you mean by stringer ones?
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

Oh wow! I didn't even think of this(face palm) that's a very good point! I can't wait to hear others opinions! Lol I've also heard that a bigger tank is easier just because there's more water. Is this true? Or is this only for freshwater? Another question, how many power heads do you think I would need in a 29 and a 40? Maybe 2 in the 29 and 3 or 4 in a 40? Thank you for posting!
Bigger the tank=easier to maintain stable water conditions. Sw or fw. Powerheads, 2 for each, just different amounts of flow. For ex: i have a 29 sw with 2 korolia 750's in it. For a 4", i would recommend 2 korolia 1050's or one 1050 and one 750. 2 powerheads either way.

Another way to look at it is water changes. If your making your owb water which is more cost effective, youll have to be using a large trashcan to mix the water in for a 40. For a 30 you could use a 5gallon bucket no problem.

As for the whole more fish thing, you could only get 1, maybe 2 more nano fish. Not a huge deal IMO.

Only definite pros are

1: larger footprint equals more space for corals and rockscape.

2: you are less likely to have to upgrade tank sizes down the road.

Hope this helped
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

I'm sorry, I'm still extremely new to saltwater. What do you mean by stringer ones?
Ahhhh not your faut! I meant stronger! Haha im sorry
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Ahhhh not your faut! I meant stronger! Haha im sorry
Ohhh hahaha it's okay. I thought that that was a name or something. Lol it's late and I have school tomm, so I'm a little slow right now hahaha
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Bigger the tank=easier to maintain stable water conditions. Sw or fw. Powerheads, 2 for each, just different amounts of flow. For ex: i have a 29 sw with 2 korolia 750's in it. For a 4", i would recommend 2 korolia 1050's or one 1050 and one 750. 2 powerheads either way.

Another way to look at it is water changes. If your making your owb water which is more cost effective, youll have to be using a large trashcan to mix the water in for a 40. For a 30 you could use a 5gallon bucket no problem.

As for the whole more fish thing, you could only get 1, maybe 2 more nano fish. Not a huge deal IMO.

Only definite pros are

1: larger footprint equals more space for corals and rockscape.

2: you are less likely to have to upgrade tank sizes down the road.

Hope this helped
I will not be mixing my own water,I will be buying it from my LFS. For the power heads, I will do that in either the 40 or 29. Thanks! If I'm mixing my own saltwater in a 5G bucket, I would need another powerhead and a heater, right? Thank you for your help!!
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Ah man same here.... so overall reef tanks are pretty awesome and you cant go wrong no matter what size you get! Lol. If the 30 and the 40 were the same price i would go bigger odviously, because you do not have to add a sump and fuge all at once, or even at all if you dont want to! Just an idea..
__________________

__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium librarygirl Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 32 03-20-2013 12:50 PM
125g Jewel Cichlid tank Question AquaMason Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 01-17-2012 07:53 PM
Minimum tank size question VioletEmber Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 26 01-10-2012 07:16 PM
newb question on a tank nyrep1 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 11-06-2011 09:34 PM
New 29 Gallon Tank! Stocking question and more! gobullschi Nano Reefs 8 09-17-2011 01:23 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.