Originally Posted by greenmaji
I was thinking the cyano
was in a fuge.. its bacterial and plant from my understanding of it..
You are mostly right. Cyano
is a bacteria (belonging the the Eubacteria kingdom) but it gets mistaken for algae because it is photosynthetic. Going deep into the biology of it, Cyano
is also autotrophic, meaning that it doesn't need anything else in the tank to live off of, except for the light. This is why it's so hard to get rid of compared to other forms of "algae". This is what my biology professor taught me about it last semester, anyways.
Zac, get rid of as much as you can get rid of manually. Increase water flow in your tank, and do lots of PWC
's, and it should go away.
Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here
Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.