Tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, shallower, longer wider tanks are better than taller shorter tanks. So I would go with the 30g, it may only be one gallon more but the 6" of surface area gained is a better indicator of the difference.

tank size

Absolutely! I have a 29 and I'd trade it for a 30 in a heartbeat. Since we're on the subject of 36" long tanks though...how about a 40 breeder? It's still only 3' long, but it's 18" wide as opposed to the 12" width of the 30. The 30 will give you 432 sq inches of surface while the 40 breeder will give you 648 sq inches. Probably not more than $25.00 or so difference in price between the two. It will give you more options later and the extra width will be wonderful when you add rock since your fish will have more swimming space in front. Just a thought.
Logan J

Currently I have a 30L. Just getting suggestions as I will probably setup in a few months. I have been checking out a Penguin Bio-wheel 330gph PF and a maxijet 160 gph. Would this be enough for filtration. I have a 100w heater already. I will use a DSB and it will be FOWLR.

What else will I need?

Biofiltration in any form does not take the place of a skimmer. Frequent water changes WILL allow you to have success without a skimmer. I recommend a skimmer to give you a wider margin of error. You can always shut it off or run it on a timer. Take the money you save on a biowheel and put it toward a H.O.T. skimmer. It will give you more water movement in additio to your power head. You should aim for ten times volume water turn over per hour as a guidline.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom