tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aryiman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how big of tank would i need to get to get a tang and a clownfish? i dont know if these two are even compatible with each other. i have been out of the saltwater game for a little while and im trying to get back in it. let me know what your advice is. i would like to have live rock and a coral in the tank as well. thanks.

While I am not an expert, most people on this site (and others) will probably say that the clownfish will be fine in a 30g or larger (can go smaller depending on the type), but the tang is going to require at least a 4' tank, with a 6' tank being preferable. So that means somewhere greater than a 55g, but not necessarily a taller tank. HTH

As stated above, 30G is good for a clown. What type of tang?

blue tang, my fiance and i want to have on here at school with us, but we dont want a big tank to transport back and forth. we were thinking around a 10-20 gallon tank. let me know what kind of fish or what not we can get in this.

Well any tang is out in a 20 gallon aquarium and keeping a saltwater aquarium of either of those volumes is a tough task, even for an experienced salty! You could keep a pair of Clownfish in a 20 gallon aquarium, (False Percula or True Percula) would be the species I would recommend.

As for a tang, a Yellow Tang would be alright with a Clownfish in a 55 gallon aquarium though a Blue Tang (I am guessing you mean a Hippo or Regal Tang; like Dory in Finding Nemo) needs 90-125 gallons for a single specimen at adult size.

And if fed well, they will grow pretty quickly. I have a sailfin tang in a 75G tank, she does fine in this size but am sure she would appreciate more swimming room.

alright guys thanks for the advice, my fiance just wants a "nemo" and a "dory" so this helps me out. what would you recommend to put in a 20 gallon with a clown?

awesome roka64, thanks for the advice. alright i did some research last night and i know im going to do live rock as a natural filter. now what protein skimmer should i get? along with the lighting? i am not sure about these two things. also would corals be a good idea with a small tank?

Lots of folks like the Remora or Bak-Pak skimmers. Lighting will depend on what corals you want to keep (you can check the same site, just to give you an idea of what's out there). If you are planning on moving this tank often, I would suggest not doing too much in the way of corals, especially in a smaller tank. Are you still set on the 10-20G? Can't help with "dory", I haven't seen Nemo.

well would a 30 gallon be a better choice? i just want a smaller tank until i move permanatley, then i will invest in a bigger tank. i figured the smaller tank would be easier to move in the summers between my years at college.

I would go for smaller, it will be way easier to break down and move and setup. A 20 wouldn't be that bad either.

Back
Top Bottom