Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You have pretty everything to get you started on your list. Im not sure about the hob filters I would lose those and do a sump. A sump is going to make you tank look a lot better. The only thi g thst will be in it is a overflow box (skimmer box part) and you power heads as well as a return line.

With the sump you will build a chambe for you refugium. So theres not need to have something else holding your refugium.
Check out ebay if you want an rodi unti. I bought mine off of bulk reef supply the 5 stage rodi with drinking kit. My friend got one off of ebay the exact same thing but my canisters are clear his are not. He saved about 100 to 150 bucks compared to mine.

You are missing a return pump if you are doing a sump.
If you are getting a skimmer I tyink it would be a great idea its not needed but it does its job. If your going to wait to buy the skimmer which is fine. Before buying one make sure you have the height under your stand for it. As wrll as a chamber in your sump for its foot size. What I would suggest is find a skimmer you are going to buy get the foot print online and build your sump to those dimensions.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Polyps are usually easy to keep. Metallic Green star polyps one of my favorites when the actinics are on only they are extremely beautiful. They also grow fast and usually can find them pretty cheap.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also to make life easier for you get a powerhead brand that holds on with magnets not just suction cups. Usually the suction cups lose pressure and fall. Then whe. You come home you have one spot where you can see the bottom of the tank and sand is every where.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Gotcha. So if not the hob filters then do i have to do a sump? Or is there any other option? I'm just making sure as sumps are just so expensive! If not, it'll be fine and i'll just have to save up a bit more. And yeah sounds like those magnet powerheads are a good idea! I'll look into it! Now lighting wise, do you recommend LEDs? I feel like these would be best cuz they look great, work well, dont have much heat fluctuation, and are probably cheapest on the electric bill. Do you agree?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A sump doesnt have to be exspensive. By a 20 gal long. Go to a glass shop or lowes amd get 1/4 glass or acrylic baffles made.buy a return pump and either pvc pipe or that clear hose.

As of led yes they are the next big thing. Well they are the big thing in my opinion. The great thing about leds they can last for up to 10 years. Thats what they say but they havnt been out for ten years to be tested that long. The dimmable leds are what you want its even better if it has a timer on it. I have the bridge lux led which tao tronic reef leds are pretty much the same thing different name. If you have money look into the aqua illumination sols or vega. If you want to go with something amazing try the radions which are very pricy.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Leds are more efficient. No changing leds, less heat and can change there intensity to the needs of the coral.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm okay. I'll think about it then. Being a beginner, do you think it may be better for me to buy like a biocube setup ??
Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure if someone alreadyentioned, but going back to your list, I suggest a refractometer over a hydrometer. A little more money, but much more accurate.

I agree with the "bigger is better" concept for saltwater. Figure out what fish you want and use that to decide tank size. 40's are good, but really limit what you can add. Basically you eliminate all Tangs, Angels, Rabbitfish, a lot of wrasses, etc.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yup i understand. How would equipment for a reef differ from equipment for a Fowlr?
I may do a fowlr instead to just start out in the saltwater world, and try a reef later, when i'm more experienced.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post
Yup i understand. How would equipment for a reef differ from equipment for a Fowlr? I may do a fowlr instead to just start out in the saltwater world, and try a reef later, when i'm more experienced.
Reef tanks require much better filtration and much better lighting than fowlr. As well as more water flow.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com