Tank size for predatory fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im looking to keep the following species....

Volitans lion
Some puffer. Prefrably hardy and able to live in something under 100 gallons.
A trigger
A snowflake eel.

Not sure on which puffer or trigger but ideally inexpensive and hardy. I have around 600 dollars for the complete setup. I can forgo the trigger or eel in favor or something less demanding size wise.

For puffers, I'd pick one from the Canthigaster species. IMO I don't like puffer and eel in the same tank.

I don't think you will have enough money for the whole setup, unless you get some really good deals off craigslist.

Yeah I was wondering if 600 was enough myself. My wife gave me that limit though, it's just not in the budget... yet:whistle:

I was planning on getting the 100 from craigslist, but I have a young one running around the house, and I'm not too sure. I bought my current 40g off craigslist and it was cracked and resealed and it scares me to death when he gets near it, just considering the crack it once had. I know brand new, a 100 and a stand would run me up right around my budget.. ugh!

But in the event I do get it from CL, I'm planning strict FOWLR, so I might be okay. Could I house a lion and maybe a trigger in a 55?

55 too small for a trigger alone. Look up minimum tank size for each fish you want.

I would say 125g min for triggers and volitans lion. Snowflakes are fine in 75s, but volitans get 15". Most triggers get close to 12" so 125 for those too.

Back
Top Bottom