Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear that. I know how it feels b/c I bought a "90 gallon" off of some guy from Craigslist. Months later, after I had gotten all the equipment, lighting, sand and rock for a 90 gallon I decided to calculate it and it turned out to be 70! I was pretty disappointed, but figured I have more filtration, lighting and such which is better. I don't think I got scammed, I don't think the person selling it even knew how many gallons it was b/c of the weird dimensions!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
You can remove some water and ad some Ro/Di water back in to lower the salinity. Do you have a refractometer or hydrometer? The cycle is to build up a colony of BB (beneficial bacteria) to convert the waste in your tank through the nitrogen cycle
Is distilled water same as Ro/di?

I bought Instant ocean hydrometer.

Petsmart sells a bottle of this stuff that says it has bacteria in it and makes tanks instantly safe. I would never trust it ... Not with the price of sw fish lol just curious on others opinions or experience with it.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
Sorry to hear that. I know how it feels b/c I bought a "90 gallon" off of some guy from Craigslist. Months later, after I had gotten all the equipment, lighting, sand and rock for a 90 gallon I decided to calculate it and it turned out to be 70! I was pretty disappointed, but figured I have more filtration, lighting and such which is better. I don't think I got scammed, I don't think the person selling it even knew how many gallons it was b/c of the weird dimensions!
Ya I'm totally in that boat now! I have one huge filter I guess it's better than 2! I don't think this kid had any idea either ... I love this size. Any bigger and I'd have to give up a dresser or desk lol I hope things go a bit smoother for me here on out. So happy I found this app.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great that you love AA, I do too . Distilled water is pretty much RO water. Deionized water is not safe to drink. So it will have more TDS whereas RODI has or should have 0. The TDS can feed hair algae. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend getting one. Doubt you want to be lugging 40 gallons to make the water from the store to your house, then 5 gallons or so every week for water changes. Plus you know exactly what's in going into your aquarium..pure water and nothing else! One thing though is that for every gallon of RODI water made, there is 4 gallons of waste water. You can hook it up to your washing machine or lawn to save water and money. That Petsmart water is prob. just RO water and what's with that "magical bacteria"? I bet it's a lot more expensive b/c it's "special water for aquariums". They don't even sell SW fish (just saying).

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
Great that you love AA, I do too . Distilled water is pretty much RO water. Deionized water is not safe to drink. So it will have more TDS whereas RODI has or should have 0. The TDS can feed hair algae. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend getting one. Doubt you want to be lugging 40 gallons to make the water from the store to your house, then 5 gallons or so every week for water changes. Plus you know exactly what's in going into your aquarium..pure water and nothing else! One thing though is that for every gallon of RODI water made, there is 4 gallons of waste water. You can hook it up to your washing machine or lawn to save water and money. That Petsmart water is prob. just RO water and what's with that "magical bacteria"? I bet it's a lot more expensive b/c it's "special water for aquariums". They don't even sell SW fish (just saying).
What kind of gear will get me Ro/di water?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

A Ro/Di unit. Check out bulkreefsupply.com members on this site hold group buys which I've been apart of myself where you will get an additional 15% off many products with free shipping over I think $200

Tags
tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com