Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2005, 11:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't necessarily agree with the breakdown (but it's not WAY out of line), because some of my costs included test kits, salt, skimmer, pvc plumbing, nets, food, which, while of course being recurring costs, don't necessary add up in the same way as LR and sand. Of course, lighting would be much more for a big tank so on second thought it's hard to say.

If I were to upgrade my 30 to a 55, I don't think it would cost an additional $1000, but certainly several hundred. OUCH.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here's a rather rough breakdown for pricing that I used (for larger tanks):

Live rock: $8.00 per tank gallon
Lighting (halide): $700
Skimmer: $350
Circulation pumps: $300 to $800
Tank/stand: $1100

And then I tacked on an extra $1200 for micellaneous items (testing, heater, salt, RO unit etc, sump)

For a 150 gal tank with this formula: $4800 or $32 per gallon.

And then comes the livestock bill...

Some corals and inverts yet to be identified!
nickthapainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your in no hurry, you can find good deals on hardware from time to time and save a lot that way. I started by purchasing my equipment first as I found it piece by piece. Im still not finished. My own decision to start with a smaller tank has less to do with cost than it does convenience. I simply didnt have the room for a bigger tank. With that in mind, I could clearly see that my biggest expenses were liverock and lighting. With the lighting being the last piece of hardware to buy, the tanks installation simply happens when the funds for the liverock are available.

Already having my hands in the freshwater and planted tank hobbies, I am accustomed to daily interaction with the tanks. It doesnt scare me so much to start a small reef tank knowing that it will require constant supervision and maintenance. Once established, some nano reefs are quite easily managed with little effort; provided they are put together right with the right livestock. It is true that larger tanks are a lot more forgiving and safe; especially for a novice hobbyist. I agree with the crowd that you should set a budget and do some research and see what you can put together within that budget. If your budget seems a little small, dont be afraid to try it as long as your willing to give it some effort and time.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's pretty darn close to Aspec's $1000 per 25 gallons of tank.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:56 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The bigger the better and I would say go as big as you can afford as well but not so big as you cant afford to keep it up and maintain it, these large tanks need daily up keep and require a lot of time to get them up and going.
I dont wont to even think about a break down in price or I'll freak out but I would say $1000 per 25 gallons might be on the low side personally for a fully set up and stocked tank. My reciepts for my 150 add up to closer to $10,000. it's not the big stuff that added up for me but the small things you dont think about like an rodi unit,medications, salt,power heads, calcium reactors,refugium, timers,skimmer,heaters,pumps, trash cans,water holding tanks, etc, etc, etc, and a lot of the nick nacks that you need to keep it up and going. I know not everyone gets as carried away as I do but I'm sure a lot do. I did my set up over several months and continue to upgrade and add new things weekly. I'm not trying to scare anyone off but it is an expensive hobby and thats a fact.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I, also, agree with Aspec's rough figure of about $1000 per 25gals.

I was 'guessing' that I could do a 120RR tank but I just added it all up and it's a little over $5000 without fish. I think I can get that price down a bit if I shop around or go with some used equipment but still... I think I budgeted about $3000 for myself.. So much for the 120!

So, now I've been checking out between 50 - 65gal tanks to keep it affordable. But that's still $2500 - $3000 for a Reef tank.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

$1,000 per 25gal is a little ridiculous.

Here's my 125 in comparison:

Live rock: $8.00 per tank gallon (My 80lbs of live rock came with the tank, but I can get LR all day long around me for $5/lb) = $400

Lighting (halide): $700 (Again, my PC lighting came with the tank, but I did buy a separate 250w MH system for $150) = $300

Skimmer: $350 (A plastic tube with a hole in it and a MJ1200) = $40

Circulation pumps: $300 to $800 (Maybe 3-4 PHs and a return pump) = $120

Tank/stand: $1100 (Deducting the value of the lights and the LR, the cost would be zero, but let's just say I bought the used tank and stand) = $300

Miscellaneous Items (Salt, heaters, Canister filter, food, coral supplements) = $500

For a total of $1,660 for 125 gallons, or $13.28 per gallon.

I've probably spent $1,500 on livestock. So I'm at about $3,000 for the entire tank.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ridiculous, come on, I say your theory is, If you did a vote on this site I would venture to bet that most would come closer to $50 than $13. However buying a used set up is normally cheaper, most opt to go new. Now I'm not saying it cant be done cheaper but that old saying you get what you pay for seems to always come into play. IMO
Old 03-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Buying used or going the DIY route will definitely drop the price, as will using less than the 2lbs per/gal LR formula. I bought my whole system (minus the skimmer, sump and circulation pumps) for $700. The overall pricing for a new set-up (using quality equipment) would still be around the $40 per gallon range.

Have you noticed any problems with under 1lb per gal of LR in your tank in regardas to biological filtration?

Old 03-11-2005, 02:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
You can save a lot on the rock by ordering online.
I would venture to say I have at least $7000 into my system. Like Thumper stated, its the little stuff that adds up. Easy to forget about in the big picture.

Tags
start, tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com