Tank size. Is bigger better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scotts_001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings all! I have been learning all I can and have read several of the popular books on reef keeping. Now I feel confident enough to go out and make my own mistakes!

I am looking at picking up a complete or near complete reef setup through the paper (there are many available in these woeful days!) and I really have one basic question. Should I start with a smaller tank (<100 gal) or just get one of the larger ones available (200 - 300 gal)?

Are there significant advantages to getting a specific size? Cost and Space are not major concerns. Thanks for any input. Scott

I always suggest getting the biggest tank you can afford. This is because the larger the tank the more stable the water conditions.

Some members have scored real well with systems out of the paper.

I wish you LUCK!...

I envy you!

Well if money is no issues then hehe http://mr4000.com... hehe. In my opinion it cost way to much for the actual viewing area in the end.

The general rule of thumb is bigger is better for a simple reason. If you loose a gallon of water on a 29 gallon from heat then the salinity change will be much more then if you loose 1 gallon on a 150 gallon tank? see the logic. Also there more "forgiving" to overfeeding etc etc.

With that said I would think too big is a bad thing if your not capable of keeping up with a huge tank then no need for one. Water changes can be difficult and time consuming taking care of the tank also can be.

I started with a 10 gallon went to a 15 then to a 29 then back to a 15. The reason I went down was money I did not have money for lighting for the 29 but I did for the 15.

I would check the paper.. I think Most of us here consider a larger tank to be over 55. That seems to be the ideal starter tank for the newbie. But by all means if you can go bigger then by all means go bigger. but be prepared for the price grows quite rapidly.

good luck and welcome to the saltwater world

Jacob

Thanks for the input! I think that if I even mentioned a 4000 gallon tank my wife would shoot me! Or at the very least throw some shoes... hmmm..

I have been watching the papers to get a idea of what a used setup would cost. Right now the Dallas paper has a 240 gal tank for 600$ and a 320 gal complete reef setup (with MH lights, drool, drool) for 2500$ and several in between them.

Obviously the value is determined by the quality of the equipment you get, if I have to replace everything in the next six months, then I wouldn't really save anything. This is where the fear factor comes into play!

The other concern is inheriting somebody elses mess.

Scott,

Thats where we come in. Find something in the paper and post it here. We will help ya with if its a good deal, a great deal or what. Ideally ads with more detail about the eqiupment is better than ads that say 240 gal complete setup $XXX.

Depending what is with the 240 thats a decent price for a tank, stand, canopy, lights, etc.

Yea, If you can find out the models of the say the skimmer or pump etc we can help you find the value of them.

Also take a look at it before you buy.. Never buy anything without seeing it..

Also quiz the owner find out how old his stuff is if it has any problems etc.. you can usually tell alot about a person byu a single conversation. if he comes off as careless then most likely he was careless bout his equip ment and it might not be in good shape..

Jacob

Back
Top Bottom