Tank size planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nphsmith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will shortly be purchasing my first marine tank. I have not a great deal of aquarium experience, but we will be installing this at my office, where a colleague has kept tropical freshwater tanks for 10 years, so have some experience there. It will be purchased by the company, so budgets are not very constrained (though not infinite)!

I am very definitely planning to do some soft corals, and am fascinated by some invertebrates/crustaceans, but expect the fish to be star of the show. Currently my long-term plan is to end up with something like the below list:

Sergeant Major 3
Citron Goby 1
Common Clownfish 2
? Bleny 1
Royal Gramma 1
Banggai 3
Pyjama Cardinalfish 2
(Yellow) Tang 1
Flame Angelfish 1

I'll be introducing these over a year or so, more or less in the order of the list. I am currently thinking in terms of a 400 Litre/105 US Gallon tank. Is that likely to be sufficient for this wish-list, plus corals and invertebrates?

My reading suggests that the sensible thing to do for a newcomer is to get as big as budget and space allow. Is there a point where too big becomes a problem for a newbie?

I have a kazillion questions other than tank size, but figured I'd start with that!

That is a good size tank for the tang. I started small and have worked my way up to a 55 the larger tank is much easier and stable I have noticed.

Your stock list is pretty good there is several aggressive fish with some very passive fish. You might want to alter either the way they go in or change the list. Sargent majors are a damsel and as they get older they get mean and catching them will be difficult at best.

It is good to see you doing research before just jumping in.

Thanks for the reply. OK, I'm looking for a completely aggression-free tank, if such can be achieved, so scrap Sargeant-Majors. Is that 'getting-meaner-as-they-get-older' thing apply to all Damselfish?

Thanks for the reply. OK, I'm looking for a completely aggression-free tank, if such can be achieved, so scrap Sargeant-Majors. Is that 'getting-meaner-as-they-get-older' thing apply to all Damselfish?

Yup damsels are damsels, Sgt Majors are the meanest of the mean.

Back
Top Bottom