Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank Size? Your opinions are appreciated!

Hello,

I am a newbie that has caught the SW bug. I am ready to purchase my tank and am wondering what you would recommend. Below are the 2 sizes I am considering. I just want to know if the extra depth is going to be a benefit or not. I know the extra volume of water will help but I worry that 30" may be too tall. It will be built into the wall and I will have an equipment closet behind it so space is not an issue.

72x24x24high 180 gallon

72x24x30high 225 gallon

It will most likely be a FOWLR for a long time. I may end up going Reef eventually but not for a few years.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

With saltwater, the Bigger the Better. The more water volume you have, the slower the water parameters will change.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Let me add to stresco's comment by saying that the larger the surface area the better. For example, a 180 long (is there such a thing?) is better than a 180 tall. However, a 12 sq.ft. surface area is pretty large.

-j
Old 07-08-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
72x24x24high 180 gallon

72x24x30high 225 gallon

With those two as your options the 180 gal would be my preference. The reason is you want to maximize your surface area per gal. The 180 gives you more surface area per gal than the 225. If you want corals it will also need more light on the deeper tank.

For most people 24" deep tank puts you up to your armpits if you have to get to the bottom of teh tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
For most people 24" deep tank puts you up to your armpits if you have to get to the bottom of teh tank.
I call this dosing speedstick
Old 07-08-2003, 08:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

For most people 24" deep tank puts you up to your armpi

That was my concern of being so deep. 180 it is. Thanks for the help. More ?'s to come
Old 07-09-2003, 03:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
or if you go with the 225 it could give you an opportunity to have a DSB without taking away from the rest of the tank. for instance if you got the 225 and had a 6 inch sandbed it would be the same as having a 180 without a sandbed at all. that's just they way i look at it.

Tags
tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com