Tank Structure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was curious as to whether or not the bar the runs across my bow front tank offers any structural function? furthermore, could i remove it without any catastrophes to the the structural integrity of the tank. I was curious because it blocks 3 of my led lights :S. Sorry for the pic i took it with my computer and my moonlight is on. lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I couldn't agree more. With a bow front, there is tremendous pressure pushing out and that brace is meant to relieve that pressure. Removing it could cause the front glass to fail.

Those rimless tank have added support between the glass and structure to begin with. Some even have the bottom framed liek mine does. It's all a matter of how it's put together.

I for sure 100% would not remove a brace on your tank. As mentioned it can only cause future or even immediate trouble.

Is there a way to re adjust your moonlights? Or move the lighting fixture or is it kinda stuck where it is? Would boosting up your lighting fixture help?

Well my actually lighting fixture stretches across the tank and it is 3x of my 10,000k white lights that are being blocked :S

its not a major issue i have a great amount of light coming through. i will just have to be cognoscente of the placement of my corals.( which i already planned to do lol) anyways thanks for the input guys

I used to have a 72 Gal. bow front that had that center brace broken. I made a brace for it because the front glass would flex outward almost 2 inches when full without the brace. Even with the replacement brace the tank eventually had the seal fail. IMO do not remove it.

Back
Top Bottom