Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Welcome back to saltwater! Post some pics when you get the 30-gallon up and running.

ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Next steps...

OK. Time for the next questions. I have cleaned the tank, rinsed/dried the sand, and replaced the sand. I have the salt water mixed and sitting in a big tub. I am going to add the water into the tank tomorrow. I found an add for somebody very close by selling their live rock. they will wait a few weeks unless a substaintial offers comes in.

How long after I fill the tank and get the basic waters reading in line should I wait to add the rock? Also, what is the best way to transport the rock (it will only be about a 15-20 minute ride).

gwhite314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
you can add it whenever you want, transfer it in containers or tubs of som sort with wet newspapers lying over the rock.
HoCkEyGmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
I would add the rock right away. The tank isn't going to stabilize for a month or so whether the rock is "established" or not so might as well get it over with. At least your cycle should be expedited with the rock in place. The rock can be transported in a number of ways. Dry shipping is easiest and really only the sponge colonies will be affected (death), but the fauna and bacteria within can easily survive a 20minute drive with little impact if the rock is kept moist/saturated; otherwise, the rock would need to be at least partly submerged in sw. They can be transported in large trash cans or styrofoam shipping containers lined with a durable plastic bag.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with Innovator. I have found that there is little to no die-off when wrapped in wet SW soaked newspaper. If you can transport in SW, that would be the best solution.
Depending on how much cured LR (if it is still an established tank) and the size of your tank, you may see a mini-cycle or not.
ALSO, ask what meds have been used in the tank! You DO not want LR that has been in a tank with copper meds.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

suggestions, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com