Tank Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwhite314

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new here. I would like to get back to saltwater. Currently I have 180g with tang cichlids, 75g fresh, 30g (was brackish, but puffer just died), and 10g empty.

Given that the 30g is now available I was looking for opinion on starting this as FOWLR tank? Due to some remodelling at home, the 75 will be available next spring to switch to saltwater.

I guess the main question is should I start with the 30g and then upgrade to the 75g or just wait? I wouldn't mind having the both going once the remodel is done. Anyway, just looking for some opinions on the various tank sizes.

thanks.

Welcome to AA!

Larger is always better, especially for SW if you have no experience with it. However, 30g isn't too bad and would probably be an ok place to start, using the 10g as a sump possibly.

The 30 will give you a good start wgen you are ready for the upgrade and then make the 30 into a sump/fuge.

Not to take away from what Neilan said, bigger does allow for more room to err, but since you are already planning on an upgrade, you can at least get a grasp on the concepts of SW tanks. One thing, take it slow.

You will be OK. Start with the 30 and as mentioned use it as a sump or a refuge when you upgrade.

I agree. Go ahead and take the plunge back into the SW world. 30g will allow you to more then you realize. Also when you do upgrade to the 75 you will have learned or relearned how to handle and maintain a SW tank. You will also have an established tank to work from and seed the 75.

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to start working on the 30g this weekend. Although, it is tough to take the advice of that cowboy helmet--I grew up in Pittsburgh.

Well, I'm a Steelers fan, so you know you can trust me....Well, Mike's a pretty good guy even though the avatar is lame! LOL!

I agree, the 30 would be a good start. And starting with a FOWLR is a good way to go, IMO, as it allows you to get the hang of SW and the coolness of all the critters on the live rock without having to deal with serious lighting and corals. You'll be a little limited for fish choices but options will open up once you switch to the 75.

Next steps...

OK. Time for the next questions. I have cleaned the tank, rinsed/dried the sand, and replaced the sand. I have the salt water mixed and sitting in a big tub. I am going to add the water into the tank tomorrow. I found an add for somebody very close by selling their live rock. they will wait a few weeks unless a substaintial offers comes in.

How long after I fill the tank and get the basic waters reading in line should I wait to add the rock? Also, what is the best way to transport the rock (it will only be about a 15-20 minute ride).

you can add it whenever you want, transfer it in containers or tubs of som sort with wet newspapers lying over the rock.

I would add the rock right away. The tank isn't going to stabilize for a month or so whether the rock is "established" or not so might as well get it over with. At least your cycle should be expedited with the rock in place. The rock can be transported in a number of ways. Dry shipping is easiest and really only the sponge colonies will be affected (death), but the fauna and bacteria within can easily survive a 20minute drive with little impact if the rock is kept moist/saturated; otherwise, the rock would need to be at least partly submerged in sw. They can be transported in large trash cans or styrofoam shipping containers lined with a durable plastic bag.

I agree with Innovator. I have found that there is little to no die-off when wrapped in wet SW soaked newspaper. If you can transport in SW, that would be the best solution.
Depending on how much cured LR (if it is still an established tank) and the size of your tank, you may see a mini-cycle or not.
ALSO, ask what meds have been used in the tank! You DO not want LR that has been in a tank with copper meds.

Back
Top Bottom