Tank/Sump overflowing problems??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parkersmomma2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:facepalm:

Okay...So I've had my 75 g tank up for about 2 months now. It wasn't pre-drilled so I got an overflow box it's one that has two drainage holes instead of one, and my intake on the sump is just one hose. So I got two hoses, one "t" splitter, one more piece of hose to get the the main one. Turns out, the guy at Ace didn't know how to cut equal measurements, so one of the hoses on the box is almost completely bent. This isn't helped by the fact I have to have my sump on a table next to the tank---it won't fit underneath.
My return pump is more than adequate...sometimes it's a bit too strong even at lowest setting.

I don't understand why, but in the last 2 weeks my tank and sump have overflowed twice. Like...a LOT. Like probably 30 gallons. I have to totally drain my sump, take the two U shaped siphon drains that go into the tank and into the overflow out....it's horrible. I always notice that when this happens, there are air pockets in those siphon things that get it into the actual overflow box. I don't know if it's the bent tube, or something to do with the way I have it set up??
I had to stop the whole thing today because I didn't want to risk it overflowign again in the middle of the night-so I've not got much in for the way of filtration right now. ANY help would be appreciated, I need this up and running again ASAP =( Pluming is not my strong suit.:ermm:

Not sure what kind of overflow your using but on the CPR overflow boxes I know you need to run a aqua lifter to keep air out of it so it doesn't break suction. Maybe this is your problem??

h8z2luze said:
Not sure what kind of overflow your using but on the CPR overflow boxes I know you need to run a aqua lifter to keep air out of it so it doesn't break suction. Maybe this is your problem??

Sounds like not enough return which is why your getting air pockets try one of two things 1 take out one of the u tubes 2 get bigger return pump

Your return pump should not have a greater flow than your outflow box. Either put a check cable inline with the return flow and reduce the flow.
Or put a tee in the return with a valve that returns back to the sump. Then divert some of your return to the fuge to again reduce the flow to the DT. Personally I'd go with just the check valve in the first option.
Also, if your outflow stops for any reason, your return should ONLY pump out the return section of the sump. Your DT should handle that amount.

Ingy said:
3rd line should read check valve. Stupid spell fix.

Ya not quite sure if im understanding this correctly are your u tubes in overflow getting air pockets at the top? If so that means your pump isn big enough therefore not pushing enough water thru this is what happened to me when i first got hob overflow box i bought a bigger pump and never happened again if this is not the issue im sorry for the misunderstanding

Back
Top Bottom