Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-31-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank Temperature Question

This is the first time I've had a Salt tank, I've set the temperature to 75 degrees, but for some unknown reason the temp in my tank remains at 81.4 degrees. I have a thermometer in the tank, and I also have the digital thermometer that gives the temperature in the tank and in the house, my house temperature stays between 76 - 78 degrees.

My tank is 125 gallons, 2 power heads, 2 cascade 1500 canisters, a back pac II protein skimmer that has not been used until the cycling period is over. I leave the light on in my tank for 8 hours each day.

My question is: With my tank temperature being 81.4 degrees, is this bad for my fish ? My tank was setup on 02/27/04, I'm still in the cycling period, I have 7 damsels in the tank at this time. I was told that my tank will be in the cycling period for 6 weeks, I'm almost at the end of the 6 week period, I've checked the levels in my tank and everything is fine.

I've been told that I may need to purchase a chiller to help stabilize the temp in my tank, to help keep it between 74 - 76 degrees. Do you feel that I need to purchase a chiller ? Any advice that you can give will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help with this issue.

AZ_Salt_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:59 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
As other will tell you, the ocean's reefs are btween 82 and 84 so you are on the chilly side. With an ambient temperature of 76-78, your tank will be at least that warm and the heat put out from the pumps and lights bumps it up to 81. I would set the heater to 81 or 82 to keep the temp constant through the night. Other than that you have nothing to worry about.

Anemoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yup, Mark is correct. I keep my tank at around 81-82F. During the winter when it got below 80F at times, I would worry...

Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm almost at the end of the 6 week period, I've checked the levels in my tank and everything is fine.
well if you mean your levels are 0, your cycle is over, 6 weeks is an estimate; perhaps the warm temp helped in speeding the cycle a little

I would like to recommend lr for that tank, best biofilter and fish love the hiding places. Its not that much $$ when you look at the price of fake decor you find in the lfs. A cheaper alternative is dry base rock, it will just slowly become lr. Can be had for ~ $1 / lb. There's an interesting video about lr here: www.tampabaysaltwater.com
hey half the fun is dreaming it up!
srgetz is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com