Tank too full?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsikins00

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a sebae clown, 2 damsels, and a PJ Cardinal, 2 sand sifting snails, 5 margarita snails, CBS in a 29 gallon. My parameters are PH 8.1, ammonia 0, trite 0, and trate 0-5 (I don't know how I manage that) I have some single mushrooms scattered around, and a feather duster. I'm having a problem with some fuzzy green algae since my new PC lights. I do use RO/DI water, and do a water change about every 3 weeks. Think I should just get some more snails or do I have room for a lawnmower blenny?

As far as the lawnmower I think you might be pushing it.... although I'm not one to speak on that matter... but lawnmowers get pretty big.....

You have as many fish in your 29 as I have in my 40, which I've been told is pretty much fully stocked...I could squeeze in a yellow watchman goby (1.5" max size) but that's it.

I'd say you're done. I also think every 3 weeks with that bio-load is too infrequent.
weekly small changes, or bi-weekly changes are best.

I think you are pushing it on bioload as well. However, You water parameters look fine which tells me the tank (and water changes) are able to manage the load. Two and-sifting stars in a 29 is one (or two) to many. They can quikly deplete the fauna in in the sand bed and then slowly starve to death. This particular star is more appropriate in larget tanks. If you have a small one you may be okay for a while, but you should really consider trading one to the LFS. I also agree with Cindy, find out what your PO4 is at.

Lando, I have 2 sand sifting snails...will that deplete too? I don't have any starfish. My lights are on about 10-12 hrs, and I don't have a PO4 tast kit. I guess I will have to pick one up.

Sorry, I mis-read it :oops: You should be okay. It is a great idea to pick up a PO4 test kit. Test both your tank water and source water.

Back
Top Bottom