Tank too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live in the northern part of california and recently its been very hot here. I checked the temp on my tank which is just a small 15 gal i wana set up and im cycling it right now. The temp in the tank got up to 84 and i have just a few damsels cycling in it. Is this a temp i should worry about? Im sure the idea of adding ice to a tank isnt the best solution but im sorta worried if its regularly this hot when i add more fish like clowns they wont last. I dont even have the heater on and its that hot i should add. Any advice id appreciate.

That is reaching a borderline point, I would be concerned if it goes up above for extended periods of time. Perhaps you could direct or install a fan towards it to provide cooling.

I see a bigger issue though, are the damsels going to stay? It is not advisable to cycle with fish anymore, a cocktail shrimp would provide the same ammonia source without the unnecessary stress of the cycle which is very harsh. If you are not going to keep them, I would remove and return them now. Otherwise, I don't see much room at all remaining for the addition of more damselfish (the clowns) in a 15g.

no i wouldnt add the clowns w/ damsels not enough room at all. Typically when i wake up in the morning its not that hot , just during the last few days its been in the 90s-100s and i live in an upstairs apartment. I was told by a lfs that damsels would be a good cycling method as opposed to no fish at all. Consequently, ive compared their prices and practices to other stores and i dont frequent there anymore. Ill see about returning the fish.

Something to be just as concerned over is the amount of temperature change. lets say the temp in the morning on the tank is 78 and by late afternoon its 84. Thats way to much temperature change to be stressfree for your fish.

If you cant bring the day time temp down with fans blowing over the surface then bump your heater up a few degrees to keep the difference between the low and high temps less of a change.

Back
Top Bottom