Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-24-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
tank turn-over

I'm new to the saltwater thing too. I have a new 225 gal tank and have a Velocity T3 pump that goes through a particulate filter and then to a undergravel PVC bio-filter. Its a reverse flow undergravel. Is this pump powerful enough to do the job? I think the pump is rated at 800gph, but it has about 5 feet of head pressure (distance from surface of the water to the pump, right?). How many tank turnovers per hour should I shoot for?

johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
I could be wrong but I was told to shoot for between five and ten gph times your tank size. Example for a 225gal you would want between 1125 and 2250 gph. Thank could be completely incorrect information because I have a Wet/Dry filter. I was told to throw away my undergravel filter because wet/dry was more efficient. I like the wet/dry better than an undergravel because they are easier to maintain. I purchased a wet/dry, media and pump for under $300.

Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I agree - I'm not a big fan of undergravel filters. There are many options in terms of bio filtering that are far more effecient (as mentioned by Xenos Wet/Dry) also Fluidized bed filters (widely used in the aquaculture industry), LR, LS, various excellent additives for Canisters (like Ehifsubstrat). So my intial reaction is 'bag the undergravel.'

As for turnover - for a 225, depending what you are keeping I would aim at a minimum of 10 times - you should be considering a Blueline HD100, an iwaki 100RLT or perhaps an Ampmaster.

The T3 is an excellent pump and is pressure rated but if you are pumping it through a few tees and elbows and pipe to tubing connections or canister-type filters or UV's it is likely to be pumping more close to the 400gph range which IMO is way to low for a 225.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
TheMadNucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com