Tank upgrade, 10g to 30g cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vallorn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

My wife recently got a good deal on a 30g oceanic cube. My plan is to use this as an upgrade tank for my 10g nano. As far as equipment goes, the 10g has an Aquaclear 50 and a Hydor Koralia Nano for flow and a Odyssea T5 Quad for lighting.

I've purchased a Hydor Koralia Evolution 600 because I realize that the AC50 and the nano won't create enough flow in the tank. As far as lighting goes, would the current light fixture that I have suffice for the time being?

The 10g has two zoa colonies, pulsing xenia, and two ricordeas. I realize Odyssea isn't the best brand but I am hoping that it'll hold me over for a while. If the Odyssea won't work, would a Kessil A150 work?

If the odyssea fits It will be fine for those corals but idk about lps and definitely not sps. I love my kessil and it would grow anything you want. Definitely an awesome light!

I removed the stock hood from my biocube and have a 4 bulb t5 odyseea over it now. Gives it much better color and all my corals like it. I have mostly softies and lps and some chalices and they are doing fine as well. Alot can depend on placement too, I have a stunner chalice high on the rocks so it gets awesome exposure and is growing so much I can almost see it happening lol.

That 600gph powerhead will take some fiddling with to get the flow just right, I was usng a 750 in my cube for a time but it was too much flow and I LOVE high flow so thats saying alot.

Thanks for the information! I'll use the Odyssea for now and then upgrade to the Kessil later on. Since this is my first saltwater tank upgrade, I'm wondering if I can just move everything over to the other tank without waiting for it to cycle?

The new tank has live sand and I also purchased some more live rock because the amount I have in the 10g isn't enough for the larger tank. I figure if I run the new tank for a week or so I should be able to move everything over without much issue. I've done some research on this and I've read some mixed opinions. What do you guys think?

You should be ok just watch for a mini cycle when you add all the stuff from your ten gallon and be prepared to do a water change. Glad to see another person who may have a kessil on here I feel like no one uses them lol. Mine is a beast! Growth and color is awesome

You'll be fine just moving everything over, more so since you will wait a week or two before actually adding it all in. :)

The kessils are great lights, I've debated them on a few occassions but my tanks are mostly large and I would need too many to be cost effective. :-(

Back
Top Bottom