Tank Upgrade Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will soon be upgrading from a 55 to a 90g. If Imake all new water and use my existing LR and live sand how long will I need to wait till I add my fish? Should I expect a small cycle?

You shouldn't have to wait really. Just be sure to acclimate them to the new water. Also, I would use at least some of the existing water. This is how I did it when I switched tanks. I had no spike and my fish did fine.

Are you adding more sand? Sand bed depth from a 55 to a 90 will be smaller. As long as your Sand bed is pretty healthy it should be ok to re-use it all. I would add the fish right away as well. If you have corals, you might wait a bit till the dust cloud settles. They can be irritated by the sand.

It will be very hard to aquascape when you can't see in the water :( I have done this twice with no casualties but my sand smelled good when I removed it. On the last move I tried to put the top layer of sand in a separate container than the bottom layer. I had a small spike but nothing major. I left my delicate corals in a rubbermaid over night with a heater and a PH till the water was a little better.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom