Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heat at 78 is good. A power head moves water around in the tank. The ocean has current so your tank has to have current. Live rock will cycle the tank. It is packed full of bacteria and other living organisms. Mine even had an urchin come out at one point. Sea horses are hard to keep alive for beginners but with enough care are easy enough. A tank 30 gallons or bigger is recommended for seahorses though.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok not willing to go that big. Just the shrimp then..... Urchin would be cool!! It took my 40g 8 weeks to cycle ;( it was aweful.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Weird. It only took my 90 gallon about 3 weeks to fully cycle. Urchins are cool but not reef safe. I had to catch him outside the hole he was living in and yank him out with pliers. It was difficult to do.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is one example of a powerhead. The most unnatural thing in a saltwater tank is no flow at all.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_Kor...FIPHFF-vi.html

They do have cold water saltwater tanks.

78-81 is fine. I maintain at 78-80. Live rock will cycle the tank, you don't need live sand but you can use it if you want. I used 25 pounds of live sand and 30 pounds of live rock.

Also due to some set backs in my 75g tank my BC29 cycled for almost a month. It was ready sooner I just wasn't.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome. The AC110 gives a current.. Just not enough?? 78• is ok for harlequin shrimp and other SW shrimp?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

78 is good for anything. I keep my tank at 78 for all my fish, inverts, and coral.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Saltwater brings with it a lot of challenges and new factors to consider. I was an 8 year veteran of freshwater (nano 1 gal all the way to 55 planted) when I started my first saltwater tank. I lost all fish but one.
I would urge you to consider easier animals to start with. But, if you're determined, then start reading! There are many websites dedicated to seahorse care. I'd scour as many as possible. They may require live food as often as three times a day.
Harlequin shrimp are beautiful, but I've never been fond of purchasing an animal just to feed to another animal. I've also read (admittedly only from one source) that they have a dismal survival record even with proper care. But I haven't read much about them since I learned that they need live stars as food.
You should check out some of the threads on here about starting up. You may find answers to questions that you haven't even thought to ask yet.
And one final thought. All in one setups are nice, but in my experience cost 2-3 times as much as setting up piecemeal.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can attest to the all in one systems costing more. I modded my cube to the max! Costing me more then if I pieced one together. As far as the harlequin shrimp goes. I've had mine for a year now and she's doing well.

And yes you will have I buy a chocolate star probably once a month at least that's what I've been doing since she has grown.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-366046026.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	138408

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-101443459.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	138409

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

My thoughts on the shrimp are based on my own kooky ideals and a very small bit of reading. Lol
I can tell you that my 55 gallon with 29 gallon sump/refugium (before corals and fish, but including rocks and sand) cost less than the biocube base model does. Craigslist is great. Lol
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I probably won't get seahorses. But harlequin shrimp yes. Just them. Live rock, live sand. I have been reading a lot. Started asking questions too about saltwater but not reef, reef to hard to do.......

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com